PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Bbailey324

Lifer
Jun 29, 2023
Austin, TX
I enjoy several Mac Baren tobaccos and especially the roll cakes. Went through a tin of Royal Twist in a couple of weeks (should have bought two). Now smoking on Plumcake (not a coin cut) and really enjoying it. Dark Twist is good and will likely be on my next order as I haven't had a tin of that in a few years. Have Club Blend and Vanilla Roll Cake jarred up and reach for both regularly. Lots of good ones to explore in that line up.

ThomasS

Might Stick Around
Apr 30, 2024
Bayfield, WI
I can certainly understand and I’ll be getting more next credit card cycle 😉

I really didn’t expect this to taste as good as it does. I was resigned to all tobacco being like coffee - all fragrance, but flavor that doesn’t match up. This truly surprised me (in a good way).

Roach1

Can't Leave
Nov 25, 2023
Germany
I though abou buying a tin last week but decided not to. Now I need to rethink it. I enjoy their Navy Flake and Plum Cake. Probably worth a try.

Reactions: grimpeur

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
Meh. It’s fine. There are many more I reach for first, Royal Twist being one of em.
I’m glad all the fans enjoy it though. Not trying to wiz on the parade, it’s just not a favorite of mine.

ThomasS

Might Stick Around
Apr 30, 2024
Bayfield, WI
I completely understand. Tobacco is probably even more diverse than wine when it comes to how different people perceive it.

I’ve read reviews of stuff on SmokingPipes that really make me question if the tin I got was mis-labeled or something. I think it’s fascinating and I personally like seeing “I like this better” comments because it leads me to other things to try!

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
Never tried it, but I keep hearing good things. It's certainly on my to-try list, along with Club Blend.
If you like dark fired but not in the mood for a stout blend of it then Dark Twist hits the spot, you get the dark fired flavor but its smooth and sweet. Personally, I like Dark Twist to Club Blend in pretty much every situation, Club Blend is just a bit too mild in flavor for me, certainly not a bad blend though. I would still try both if I've never smoked either of them.

grimpeur

Might Stick Around
Oct 30, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
I've been a fan of all the Mac Baren twists I've tried. Each brings something different to the smoking experience, but, to my tastes, they are variations on a theme.

If the price is a little daunting, pick up some of the Newminster #403 Slices. Also made by MB, I enjoy it fresh, and apparently age does wonders; I've never been able to leave the stuff alone long enough to find that out for myself though!

Oddball

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
TN
I found it a little sweet but still enjoyable.

Then I started mixing 50/50 with ODF or Bold Kentucky flake and that added the savory umph with some kick.

Good stuff.

Reactions: luigi

ThomasS

Might Stick Around
Apr 30, 2024
Bayfield, WI
Makes sense. I like it especially because it’s sweet and somewhat milder. But to continue my earlier analogy… I don’t doubt that someday I’ll grow out of these White Zinfandels of tobacco, but a potent Old Vines Red makes my eyes cross and my stomach churn a bit right now. 😊

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
It's too mild for my taste, adding a few straps of Bold Kentucky or Rustica makes a good combo. It burns nicely and shines in the biggest bowls you have.

Indygrap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2022
New Orleans, LA
I won a tin in a raffle at our last pipe club meeting. It was from 2019 & man is it tasty! It says it’s topped with maple sugar but it tastes more like molasses. Definitely a sleeper but glad I tried it

Reactions: ThomasS