PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ora Pro Nobis

Might Stick Around
Mar 25, 2020
Well, I've finally had enough bowls that I feel confident in reviewing this blend. For anyone not familiar with this blend, here is the description commonly found:

"A simple classic, Mac Baren's HH Burley Flake uses ripe Virginias and a touch of Dark-Fired Kentucky to complement its Burley base, making for a pleasant, mellow, woodsy taste."

Mac Baren HH Burley Flake 1.75oz

It's a is supposed to be a smooth tobacco of medium taste and strength, and for the most part, I agree. It comes in compressed flake form, and I have found that using it like a "ready rub" works best for packing. The tin note is very pleasant if you are a VABUR guy. You smell the burley, the Virginia, and the Dark-Fried Kentucky immediately. However, there is something else in there that i can't quite put my finger on. Sometimes it smells like it has a hint of whiskey, sometimes perique, but whatever that extra "smell" is, you don't taste it while smoking. It lights well, and it isn' too much hassle to keep lit, so long as you let it dry a bit.

Now as for the taste; Here's where you fans of this blend may get a bit riled up because I find it to be a "poor-man's" Hearth and Home's Slow Aged First Snow. The two blends are identical in tobaccos chosen to blend, but HH seems to be a bit "weaker" in taste. It want's to hit you with big shot of that smokey, earthy, hay-like taste, but it never quite gets there. Every once in a while, you get a tease of what seems like a real contender to First Snow or even Sixpence, but then it just kind of drops off before the big flavor hit in the next fews smokes. Maybe this isn't a bad thing for some people. Perhaps you would enjoy the "excitement" of waiting to see if the next puff will have that power-punch taste, but I prefer some consistency. To me, it's a much more mild version of First Snow, and a REALLY distant cousin of GL Pease's Sixpence.

I would buy it again in a pinch, but I don't think this will be a go-to or rotation blend.

JimPM

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2021
#3 Burley for me. Here's how I described it "The delicately sweet but staunch woodiness of the Burley takes front stage on this one as one would expect. There are constant light cocoa over notes, with deep, dank, earthy tones of dark fruits folding nicely in the center." It has charisma IMO. The whiskey note you described might be the floralness that is coming from the VA?

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
Well, I've finally had enough bowls that I feel confident in reviewing this blend. For anyone not familiar with this blend, here is the description commonly found:

"A simple classic, Mac Baren's HH Burley Flake uses ripe Virginias and a touch of Dark-Fired Kentucky to complement its Burley base, making for a pleasant, mellow, woodsy taste."

It's a is supposed to be a smooth tobacco of medium taste and strength, and for the most part, I agree. It comes in compressed flake form, and I have found that using it like a "ready rub" works best for packing. The tin note is very pleasant if you are a VABUR guy. You smell the burley, the Virginia, and the Dark-Fried Kentucky immediately. However, there is something else in there that i can't quite put my finger on. Sometimes it smells like it has a hint of whiskey, sometimes perique, but whatever that extra "smell" is, you don't taste it while smoking. It lights well, and it isn' too much hassle to keep lit, so long as you let it dry a bit.

Now as for the taste; Here's where you fans of this blend may get a bit riled up because I find it to be a "poor-man's" Hearth and Home's Slow Aged First Snow. The two blends are identical in tobaccos chosen to blend, but HH seems to be a bit "weaker" in taste. It want's to hit you with big shot of that smokey, earthy, hay-like taste, but it never quite gets there. Every once in a while, you get a tease of what seems like a real contender to First Snow or even Sixpence, but then it just kind of drops off before the big flavor hit in the next fews smokes. Maybe this isn't a bad thing for some people. Perhaps you would enjoy the "excitement" of waiting to see if the next puff will have that power-punch taste, but I prefer some consistency. To me, it's a much more mild version of First Snow, and a REALLY distant cousin of GL Pease's Sixpence.

I would buy it again in a pinch, but I don't think this will be a go-to or rotation blend.
Well done! I thoroughly enjoyed your review. Cheers!

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
This was a love at first smoke for me, and what I judge all non-aromatic burleys against. It’s just so SMOOTH. Per Jensen did a great job with the blending; there’s just enough Virginia to add a touch of sweetness to counterpoint the earthiness, and just enough DFK to add a touch of spice. But neither get in the way. It’s very rich but isn’t overpowering in strength.

fishmansf

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2022
PNW

I just opened my first tin of it. While it’s really, really good, I can’t detect any burley in it, in reality, it tastes like a poor man’s three nuns. Even the little bit of dark fire in there totally overpowers the blend. Again not a bad thing but a little disappointing since I thought it would be more burley forward and not so much Kentucky forward. Could just be my palate too.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
#3 Burley for me. Here's how I described it "The delicately sweet but staunch woodiness of the Burley takes front stage on this one as one would expect. There are constant light cocoa over notes, with deep, dank, earthy tones of dark fruits folding nicely in the center." It has charisma IMO. The whiskey note you described might be the floralness that is coming from the VA?
Nice review.
#1 and #2 please ?
Burley lovers want to know.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I’ve had Burley Flake in tins and in the half kilo bulk packs. It’s a blend I generally like but the level of DFK varies quite a bit in my experience. I’ve not seen that kind of variability in any of the other HH blends.

Reactions: vosBghos