PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Osirus

Might Stick Around
May 13, 2022
Nebraska, USA
Been trying to stay busy as I'm trying to not smoke cigarettes anymore and a big part of that is staying busy. I used to put my cigarettes out in a glass jar of water after an experience starting a fire at an old apartment (long story) and realized I'm going to need a few ashtrays for pipes as I plan to completely "go to the dark side"...
20230716_205828.jpg

The skull one was a tea candle holder, so I just super glued 2 neodymium magnets to it- one on the inside of the skull and one on the bottom of the cork (did it twice since I had the polarity reversed and they repelled instead of attracted..) so I can easily remove the cork to dump the tray and it's held in place pretty well- neo magnets are amazing...

The other one is an old pipe tobacco tin, which I thought was a pretty good idea if I do say so myself! Hot glued a cork in there (trimmed the cork a bit shorter with a sharp box cutter so I can close the lid) and I can keep a tamper or some other stuff in there, even some tobacco if I keep it clean. I guess I could have used the magnet method as well as the tin is magnetic. And it's portable and would have otherwise just sat around.

Tomorrow is 1 week without any cigs so while I'm hopeful, I'm also pretty agitated and restless... I'm hoping the taste of tobaccos improves without cigs as well.

Osirus

Might Stick Around
May 13, 2022
Nebraska, USA
It's because of your story that I keep a large jar of water on my apartment deck to dump my ashes in. That was good advice.
It's always a good idea to have water nearby when you're burning stuff! Even with a pipe, sometimes an ember will fall and if I'm getting ready to leave or sleep I'll just pour a bit of water on it to be (more) sure! Fire gets out of control fast!

Reactions: HitchensDog

Osirus

Might Stick Around
May 13, 2022
Nebraska, USA
If you have been smoking cigarettes a long time you need all the help you can get. We are pulling for you!!
Thank you, about 20 years. I turn 40 next week so it's about that time to make some decisions. Quit drinking 2 years ago and I think this will be just as difficult if not more so. I'm hoping to get down to a "normal" pipe schedule of once per day or less, but I've been puffing on them like crazy this past week!

Reactions: kcghost