Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

gord

Might Stick Around
Colt's Cavendish tipped ($24.75 for 8), Colt' regular Wine Dipped ($24.75 for 8), or Phillies Blunt Chocolate or Cognac ($27.95 for 5).

I'm a pensioner and basically smoke pipes. I prefer cigars when I'm fishing or in the mood in the afternoon. I find cigars more "action" oriented and pipes more contemplative, but that's me. So it's price and that's it. But I love my occasional cigar as you can see from my current avatar.

The cheapest real cigar in Prince George BC's only tobacconist is a $12 dollar Guatanamera Cristales, which I might buy to bring in Advent, Christmas or other such event. But that's my repertoire.

The Phillies Blunt are actually not bad, but I figure I'd get lots of flack for saying that so I'll cease and desist now.

Cheers.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Sig

Might Stick Around
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
Heck, the most EXPENSIVE cigar in our local shop is $27. Of course we don't have Cubans here.
Its an Opus X Shark.....never had one.
The average for premium cigars is $4-10......Montecristo, HUpmann, Ry&J, Rocky Patel......
They are much more expensive normally here but I get them on the Seneca reservation. They do not have the 75% NYS tobacco tax.
I do not smoke cigarettes but packs start at $3 and cartons at $22.
Off the reservarion they are minimum $10 a paxk and $100 a carton.....for generics.
Pipe tins on the Res are between $6-$12, but their selection is usually pretty bad.

Reactions: gord

BronzeAgePiper

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2023
Boone>Wilmington
I realize you're in canada but im assuming there have to be some places that sell factory seconds, you can grab bundles of them for pretty cheap, not sure how it would be shipping them up there and how much they would charge you duties and fees. I mean they have to beat the hell out of "blunts"

Yea I was gonna rec these too, I’d try the 59 sweets If I were you, might be exactly what your looking for.

gord

Might Stick Around
Heck, the most EXPENSIVE cigar in our local shop is $27. Of course we don't have Cubans here.
The average for premium cigars is $4-10......Montecristo, HUpmann, Ry&J, Rocky Patel......
They are much more expensive normally here but I get them on the Seneca reservation. They do not have the 75% NYS tobacco tax.
Off the reservarion they are minimum $10 a paxk and $100 a carton.....for generics.
Pipe tins on the Res are between $6-$12, but their selection is usually pretty bad.

gord

Might Stick Around
Males me glad that I finished my cellar when most tobacco was still under $5/ounce.
A pack of cigarettes in BC is 26 bucks tax in, a two ounce pack of tobacco, say Borkum Riff Cherry Cavendish, is 88 bucks tax in, cigars . . . out of sight. We in BC have the highest tobacco prices in Canada, and each province has it's own regulations . . . and there is NO INTERPROVINCIAL SHIPPING OF TOBACCO. Insanity. The rest is taxation. Hell (literally!) - even God only charges 10%

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Haven't bought cigars for some years. When I did, would get them from JR Cigars-they Still around? Would buy JR alternatives and get a 20 cigar bundle for $40. Pretty good cigars.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I realize you're in canada but im assuming there have to be some places that sell factory seconds, you can grab bundles of them for pretty cheap, not sure how it would be shipping them up there and how much they would charge you duties and fees. I mean they have to beat the hell out of "blunts"

Flor de Ybor City has been a favorite of mine in this cheapo category. Quorum way back when, too. Not sure if either are available in Canada.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Colt's Cavendish tipped ($24.75 for 8), Colt' regular Wine Dipped ($24.75 for 8), or Phillies Blunt Chocolate or Cognac ($27.95 for 5).

I'm a pensioner and basically smoke pipes. I prefer cigars when I'm fishing or in the mood in the afternoon. I find cigars more "action" oriented and pipes more contemplative, but that's me. So it's price and that's it. But I love my occasional cigar as you can see from my current avatar.

The cheapest real cigar in Prince George BC's only tobacconist is a $12 dollar Guatanamera Cristales, which I might buy to bring in Advent, Christmas or other such event. But that's my repertoire.

The Phillies Blunt are actually not bad, but I figure I'd get lots of flack for saying that so I'll cease and desist now.

Cheers.
Phillies were once actually made in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, by the Bayuk Cigar Co. The factory was near the Temple University campus, immediately adjacent to the Temple train station. As a kid, on my many trips into the city from the suburbs, I would pass the factory and wonder about the immense numbers of cigars produced there, and where they all went. It was a big building.

312722460_5715844705145087_6830457466832798155_n.jpg
The exterior of the abandoned Bayuk Cigar factory at 9th & Columbia Avenue (Cecil B. Moore Avenue). May 21st, 1980. Photo Credit: Temple University Archives.

gord

Might Stick Around
Phillies were once actually made in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, by the Bayuk Cigar Co. The factory was near the Temple University campus, immediately adjacent to the Temple train station. As a kid, on my many trips into the city from the suburbs, I would pass the factory and wonder about the immense numbers of cigars produced there, and where they all went. It was a big building.

View attachment 310534
The exterior of the abandoned Bayuk Cigar factory at 9th & Columbia Avenue (Cecil B. Moore Avenue). May 21st, 1980. Photo Credit: Temple University Archives.

gord

Might Stick Around
Thanks for this great attachment, and the history. Looking at a package now with three Cognacs left in it, they are made in the USA, seems by ITC Cigars Inc. in Ft Lauderdale, Fl.

The Cognacs and Chocolates are very good to my bohemian tastes, and I just bought a pack of Berry flavour that is very nice indeed. I will not feel depriived by my twice or thrice a week foray into Blunt or Colt land. :D They work for me.