PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Masterblaster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2021
Evans, GA
Good day all! Been wanting to add a few pipes to my rotation and have been looking primarily at American artisan pipe makers but most are out of my price range at this time, but as I was lurking on my favorite pipe forum, I stumbled across a reference or two referring to Mark Tinsky's catalog pipes that start under 200, which is right up my alley. I believe those pipes would probably be considered workshop and not artisan (but who wants to split hairs) but a pipe under 200 thats crafted by a man that been making pipes longer than I've been alive sounds like a win win to me! My questions would be, has anyone purchased pipes through his web site? 404 - http://webshop.amsmoke.com/mark-tinsky-p
Especially his catalog shapes? What was your experience like dealing through that website and what's your impression on his catalog shapes... quality, over all smoking characteristics, and aesthetics? The photos on his site are something to be desired! You opinions are highly appreciated!

Jun 23, 2019
Mark makes a very decent pipe. I had a morta bulldog of his and it was a top smoker. Sadly, it fell out of my rotation and I moved it on. If my philospphy on pipe smoking/collecting changes, I would not hesistate to get a few more Tinsky pipes.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Mark makes a fantastic pipe and there’s little difference between a catalog shape and a custom piece in my opinion because I’ve been to his workshop and watched him make a pipe for me. There are no “factory pipes” so to speak. He selects a blank and makes it from scratch. He does have a template to use when marking up a catalog shape but that’s just to trace out the placement of the “shape” on the blank for rough cutting and drilling. From there on it’s pure artisan handwork. Pretty sure he could freehand all those shapes without any difficulty if he wanted to and there wouldn’t be much difference.

Mark laughingly complained about being a pipe maker not a photographer so I’m sure he knows the site’s photos aren’t fantastic. I guess the site works okay but honestly I just sent him an email and he sent me his phone number so we could chat and I’ve bought several pipes from him that way including a couple commissions.

You seriously cannot go wrong with one of his catalog shapes though and the prices are great. They smoke beautifully. Email him because there’s a decent chance he has several catalog shapes already made and could provide you photos to help choose or maybe you could discuss what finishes you would like to have.

That’s exactly what I’m going to do because I want one of his catalog shapes next but I want his opinion on the finish and I’d like him to add an accent to the stem / shank and maybe a colored stem - but I want his input on those things. Besides, he’s a hoot to talk with.

Good luck and I hope you love your purchase(s)!

Reactions: lukasstrifeson