PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Today I won for $10 delivered a copy of a forties Marxman catalog.

Marx might have had other catalogs but this one was common, as judged by those on sale.

The 8th and 9th pages where Mel-o, Dunsboro, Morocco and Selected Grain likely were listed didn’t come out, but when it gets in I’ll post it.

IMG_5958.jpegIMG_5959.jpegIMG_5960.jpeg
img_5961-jpeg.267408

IMG_5962.jpegIMG_5963.jpeg

Notice Marx never mentioned he used Algerian briar.

And unlike other makers, Marx advised keeping “most of the cake” down.

Attachments

• IMG_5961.jpeg
    IMG_5961.jpeg
    170.7 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_5962.jpeg
    IMG_5962.jpeg
    166.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Another thing I suspected but the catalog makes clear.

All Benchmades and Jumbos were completely hand made to whatever shape the carver thought best to use for the briar block. There were no standard shapes for those.

What puzzles me is I own several Benchmade Jumbos.

Marx ran an industrial level custom shop.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
The owner of a 400 has the best instrument ever devised for smoking tobacco.

A 400 is the affordable briar pipe equivalent of the Russian royal family’s Fabrege Easter Eggs.

Where, are those 80 masterpieces Marx had hand carved by the best sculptors of his era?

Those would truly be beyond estimation of value, and unfortunately too valuable to smoke.

My 400s color a shade darker with every smoke. Before long they’ll look like this Tom Howard, and be all the better for it.

IMG_5863.jpeg

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
The owner of a 400 has the best instrument ever devised for smoking tobacco.

A 400 is the affordable briar pipe equivalent of the Russian royal family’s Fabrege Easter Eggs.

Where, are those 80 masterpieces Marx had hand carved by the best sculptors of his era?

Those would truly be beyond estimation of value, and unfortunately too valuable to smoke.

My 400s color a shade darker with every smoke. Before long they’ll look like this Tom Howard, and be all the better for it.

View attachment 267439
That one looks like the perfect size for me. 5"? What does the button slot look like on those?

I still say It doesn't get any better than my Punto Oros.... puffy

Reactions: Briar Lee

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
That one looks like the perfect size for me. 5"? What does the button slot look like on those?

I still say It doesn't get any better than my Punto Oros.... puffy
That Tom Howard appears to be a knock off of a very large Marxman. It should be here tomorrow.

Tonight I put four flakes of Luxury Navy Twist in my 400 D 334 (about 12 flakes to the ounce) and was in heaven for almost two hours.

Harry Hosterman smoked a pocket can of Prince Albert a week.

A big Marxman has about eight times the capacity of a small, caked Grabow.

High dollar prestige pipes my ass.

If we make it through heaven’s gate God will be smoking a 400.:)

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
What Marx offered,,,,,his sales gimmick and trademark,,,,were bench made high quality Algerian briar pipes starting at $5.

A $5 Bench Made or Jumbo was a larger pipe that was hand made at one bench, then polished and finished on an assembly line.

They were sanded and emery polished nine times and then polished with tripoli.
No cheap varnish jobs on a Marxman.

Today a $5 Marxman in 1946 would be $80 in our money.

No way anyone offers a truly bench made pipe for eighty bucks.

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
I hope they all smoke alright but I am sorry but they all look ugly, I'm a freehand collector plus a big Peterson collector but because I'm in the UK I and I don't understand the Scribbles on these Marxmans, covering faults ? I don't find them artistic, I know they might be great smokers but I have to enjoy a beautiful crafted and a great smoker. Sorry but the Marxmans do nothing for me. Enjoy. puffy

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I hope they all smoke alright but I am sorry but they all look ugly, I'm a freehand collector plus a big Peterson collector but because I'm in the UK I and I don't understand the Scribbles on these Marxmans, covering faults ? I don't find them artistic, I know they might be great smokers but I have to enjoy a beautiful crafted and a great smoker. Sorry but the Marxmans do nothing for me. Enjoy. puffy
And your point is?

In person the pipes look quite different. Pictures do little justice. It’s the strangest thing, but the pipe is really only appreciated in person.

Reactions: Briar Lee

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Many Super Briar Marxman pipes are smooth finished, machine fraised, but hand polished pipes in conventional shapes and the same size as Kaywwodies, Webers, and Lees of the same era.

Once you’ve seen one medium American Bulldog or Billiard from the forties you’ve about seen them all.

The “real” Marxmans were the Bench Mades, Jumbos, “Big Boys” and 400s with rustication.

Marx truly did use very high grade, very old and aged Algerian briar, the very best. Most was not highly figured and it must have been hell to work with, as soft and as many pits as it seems to have had. That is mostly the reason for the carvings, gouches, lines, and zig zags and chunky shapes to use that spongy, soft briar.

Dunhill oil cured and blasted his.

It tastes spicy when smoked.

The aesthetics follow the briar.

Reactions: telescopes