PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mortamyhr

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2023
Nashville, TN
Hello all. I recently acquired an old meerschaum. I think it looks pretty great other than minor cosmetic issues that I’m not worried about. However, there is the hardest cake I have ever come across in it. I could not get a pipe cleaner to go through the draft hole at all, no matter what I used to try to clean/break up the blockage. I finally decided to use a drill bit to clear it. Anywho, my question is: Do I leave the cake in the bowl and just accept it will not budge, or do I use something more powerful than rubbing alcohol or dish soap and a pipe knife? Thanks in advance. Here are some pictures of said pipe. You can see the drill channel in the bottom of the bowl, so there a substantial amount of cake.image.jpgIMG_2314.jpegIMG_2316.jpegIMG_2318.jpeg

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I use a sharp letter opener to (carefully) remove cake from my meers. I know, heresy. I follow up with sand paper wrapped around a large dowel to get down to the bare meerschaum.

Reactions: Mortamyhr

Mortamyhr

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2023
Nashville, TN
I felt pretty blasphemous using the drill down the shank. Going with the sandpaper method now. This is the toughest cake I’ve dealt with so far. Slow and steady wins the race though. Thank you all for the help. And I will try the saliva and paper towel method on the rim.

Reactions: kcghost

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I always use a SmokingPipes oyster-style reaming knife. I've done this on fifty or more meerschaum pipes.

Extreme example. Here's a picture that shows an 1800's meerschaum bowl after the top 1/2" of cake was pried and scraped off, then after completion. After finishing the job the inside of the chamber is perfectly smooth. No sandpaper on the inside of a meer chamber...ever. I'm sure it will work, but sandpaper smooths out stuff, including cake, and at some point you're sanding meerschaum. It will also take a lot longer. It's the wrong tool for the job. With a good reamer you're breaking off cake and the meerschaum isn't affected.

The reamer works perfectly on much less-caked chambers as well. Sandpaper usage isn't a good hill to die on - use the right tool for the job. This tool also works great on badly-caked estate briars.

FE41Xex.jpeg

3J5c0Et.jpeg

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Sandpaper and water are prudent for most smokers. If you are careful with a tobacco knife it is a good method, also. And sending it to a professional is not your worst choice but it does cost money.

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
I felt pretty blasphemous using the drill down the shank. Going with the sandpaper method now. This is the toughest cake I’ve dealt with so far. Slow and steady wins the race though. Thank you all for the help. And I will try the saliva and paper towel method on the rim.
I run a 5/32" aircraft (that simply means long) bit through the shank on all my meers and a 1/8" through the 2-piece mortise / tenon adaptor - that gives me the perfect draw...

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
Pipnet, oyster knife, senior reamer, and a triangular machinists scraper is what I use along with a set of chip carving chisels to clean up an "estate " meer - followed by sandpaper on a sharpie.