PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

isaac

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 18, 2012
Portland, OR
So I have been working on a Meerschaum claw, and think I’m at the end of its coloring journey. I haven’t really noticed any further coloring or saturation.

Is there just an end point to how much a pipe that colors will color?

Reactions: cshubhra

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
So I have been working on a Meerschaum claw, and think I’m at the end of its coloring journey. I haven’t really noticed any further coloring or saturation.

Is there just an end point to how much a pipe that colors will color?
hard to say. I mean I guess there is a full saturation point. But the more full it is the less noticable small changes are going to be and the longer time it will take to notice a dark shade or small patch of colorization. I've seen some antique meers that look to be a uniform dark black, I assume they can't get any more colorization. But if you want to ask about colorization ask Ted Turner.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Morning guys! Here is an example of extreme color caused by years and years of smoking. The color is not any form of Oxblood and when the pipe came into my hands the bowl had 1/8" inch of smooth crap build up that had to be carefully chipped out. I believe this one is from the late 1890s or maybe early 1900s but the silver work has no hallmark to help in dating.
thumbnail-3.jpeg
thumbnail-4.jpeg

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Here are a further couple of examples of coloring. The no-name meerschaum 'cutty' pipe has had a high degree of color from smoking. It has also had a Britannia metal band fitted to the shank as opposed to silver and at some point in its life has been 'topped' due to the rim being damaged. The small Weingott & Son pipe is a lovely example of early stage coloring caused by heavy smoking. Some of the color on this pipe has faded since it is not a pipe I smoke very often and I have never found anything interesting to trade it for with anyone on here!

thumbnail-3.jpegthumbnail-4.jpeg

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
There has to be a limit of just how much the Meers can absorb right?

Condor, maybe I'm a weirdo but I think those pipes look great.
You know Mike I have no idea what those pipes can or cannot absorb. I do know that if you smoke a lot of common 19th century style tobacco such as black or brown twist they seem to rapidly 'accentuate the positive' in a manner of speaking! As to the looks, thank you. They are not my usual taste in pipes but I have kept them for years as they are unusual to say the least.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Here are a further couple of examples of coloring. The no-name meerschaum 'cutty' pipe has had a high degree of color from smoking. It has also had a Britannia metal band fitted to the shank as opposed to silver and at some point in its life has been 'topped' due to the rim being damaged. The small Weingott & Son pipe is a lovely example of early stage coloring caused by heavy smoking. Some of the color on this pipe has faded since it is not a pipe I smoke very often and I have never found anything interesting to trade it for with anyone on here!

View attachment 300895View attachment 300896
Hey, that second pipe isn't a cutty at all! It’s defiling your collection. Get rid of that right now (by sending it to me).

• Haha
Reactions: Simmerdown☕️

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Gorgeous pipes @condorlover1.
For me i smoke them because i like how meer smokes, the coloring can be cool, but at the end of the day I don't care how much they color as long as they still smoke well. I think, even though there isn't a real scientific way to gauge it is do they smoke that much differently when they are "fully colored", do they still smoke as dry i suppose would be the overall question.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
All i know is I don't smoke my meers even close to getting that type of colorization. At best one of them has achieved a mottled cream color.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Thank you all for your kind comments. Those three were pretty much colored through smoking when they came into my hands. I have plenty of examples of my handy work if anyone is that interested.