PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
I have a thing for odd/quirky pipes. This one fits the bill LOL. I just acquired this one for my personal collection. No stampings/maker's mark anywhere. Mortise/tenon receptor is threaded and made of cork. The stem (w/ threaded tenon) is odd, as it appears to be factory made and cumberland. See the last photo... looks like a seam to me on the tenon's "base". The stem and ornate shank extension are one piece. It's a larger pipe at 7" long. That's a big bowl (just how I like them). A tiny groove running 360 degrees at the top of the bowl - just beneath the rim... I've not seen that before on a meerschaum. I will smoke this on Friday and I am excited to take her for a spin. Just looking for some opinions about the pipe's possible country of origin (French?) and age... any other thoughts about the pipe...

IMG_4121.jpegIMG_4122.jpegIMG_4123.jpegIMG_4124.jpegIMG_4125.jpegJPEG image-4D6A-AE53-E9-0 2.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
The cork mortise is pretty standard but I think it was threaded at a later date to accommodate that beautiful stem. Cork is an absolutely terrible material to thread. I think that mortise joint could be improved. It’s a fantastic pipe and probably pre 1910. It’s most likely Viennese.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
The cork mortise is pretty standard but I think it was threaded at a later date to accommodate that beautiful stem. Cork is an absolutely terrible material to thread. I think that mortise joint could be improved. It’s a fantastic pipe and probably pre 1910. It’s most likely Viennese.
Wouldn’t the threads on the tenon be enough to tap the cork mortise? Agreed stem is stunning. Pipe most probably had a cherry stem extension like other kalmasch

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
The cork would probably crumble. Cork mortises tend to be paired with a smooth metal tenon.
I hear ya, it just sounds like the OP is saying the cork mortise is threaded already.

The only cork mortise I have left is on this briar kalmasch, and it uses Bakelite or vulcanite as a tenon. I used to have one which had a taper on the cherry wood extension.

CE3A1629-9D95-4B67-A5BB-5C0B88CD448B.jpegF35E62D8-6A0F-4D8B-A1A4-7974C579397B.jpeg

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Thanks, gents. Even though the stem is not likely original, it does have an orific bit. Just trying to make. myself feel better, because I I am fond of old stuff hahaha
Those pipes were often not sold with a specific stem, rather the buyer would select from a range of stems and pick one to go with their pipe. So there is pretty good chance they have been together for a long time. And there’s not really a right or wrong stem for one.

I would 100% leave them together, but I would sort out the union with something a bit more secure and tapered. It might be as easy as relining the mortis and making a tapered end piece for the stem.

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
The stummel with the rounder bowl is a very common 19th century design - I own one from a U.S. shop (doesn't mean it was made there), one from Germany and a briar one that I have no idea where it's from but it arrived with an early Peterson vulcanite stem, so maybe the UK. I've had the Dutch bowl design in meerschaum, with similar shank, from Austria and Germany.

The stem is probably your best way of telling where it's from, but who knows if it's even original to the pipe.

Very cool, though.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
The stummel with the rounder bowl is a very common 19th century design - I own one from a U.S. shop (doesn't mean it was made there), one from Germany and a briar one that I have no idea where it's from but it arrived with an early Peterson vulcanite stem, so maybe the UK. I've had the Dutch bowl design in meerschaum, with similar shank, from Austria and Germany.

The stem is probably your best way of telling where it's from, but who knows if it's even original to the pipe.

Very cool, though.

You have a thing for old meers too.... I remember that. You have some outstanding examples. Thanks for the insight.