PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
My first meerschaum pipe came in the mail today - an AKB. I have a couple of questions for those experienced with meers:

Q1: Is the tenon supposed to screw directly into the meerschaum like this? It looks a little crumbly as it is. I would have assumed that there would be some sort of threaded insert in the shank for the stem to screw into.

Q2: What can I do (besides being careful with it and removing the stem as infrequently as possible) to improve the longevity of the threads? A bit of beeswax on the threads to lubricate and protect them, maybe?
meer1.jpg
meer2.jpg

Infantry23

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 8, 2020
Smithsburg, Maryland
Can I use those replaceable inserts on an older no-name meer that has a screw-in tenon? I.e. one that screws into shank and stem?

I'd like to make it a push / pull. Are those replacement inserts all a standard size to fit the tenon and stem?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Can I use those replaceable inserts on an older no-name meer that has a screw-in tenon? I.e. one that screws into shank and stem?
If it's just one piece, no. They do make those though.

Screenshot_20240320_223316_eBay.jpg

Are those replacement inserts all a standard size to fit the tenon and stem?
Yes, the two piece ones are all the same size.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
The one meerschaum pipe I owned not made before 1920 had one of the plastic insert thingies. The only thing I can add to this conversation is my often quoted mantra that 'Its a pipe, not a f*cking AR-7 Survival rifle. You don't have to field strip the thing after each smoke'. If you insist on doing so you will knacker the threads on the mortice quicker than you can say 'Auntie Mabel's bath soap' which will result in a trip to Briarville.

Reactions: PaulRVA and paulfg

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
The one meerschaum pipe I owned not made before 1920 had one of the plastic insert thingies. The only thing I can add to this conversation is my often quoted mantra that 'Its a pipe, not a f*cking AR-7 Survival rifle. You don't have to field strip the thing after each smoke'. If you insist on doing so you will knacker the threads on the mortice quicker than you can say 'Auntie Mabel's bath soap' which will result in a trip to Briarville.
Exactly what I was thinking - that there was no way the threads would hold up to repeated disassembly and that I should remove the threaded part as infrequently as possible.

I tried to just pull the stem off at first, but it's very tight and wouldn't budge. At least now I know I have to turn it clockwise and pull to remove it - leaving this for posterity and for the next dumbass who does the same thing I did.