Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Risteard

Lurker
Feb 19, 2024
IMG_9584.jpegIMG_9638.jpegIMG_9580.jpegIMG_9637.jpegHello everyone. I recently found this meerschaum pipe in an antique store. It has a patina all over the surface, even though it has not been smoked, which makes me assume that it is a few years old now. It does not have any manufacturer's mark and I was wondering if there was any way to approximate the date and place of production. I would appreciate any information about this.
Thank you so much!

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Definitely an older meerschaum. I would venture to guess pre-1940's based off the bone tenon. It could be early 1900's but that's hard to say. I don't recall when the bone tenon was phased out in favor of metal and later on plastic.

The patina could be from sitting in a pipe shop which allowed smoking. I have a meerschaum that I've never smoked but it sits in my pipe cabinet in my smoking room, and it has developed some patina over the last several years.

It's a great looking pipe. May it bring you many happy smokes.

Risteard

Lurker
Feb 19, 2024
Very interesting! I imagined it was old, but not that old. This is my second meerschaum and I honestly don't know much about its typological evolution. Without a doubt, a good starting point that has sparked my interest to delve deeper into the topic. Thank you very much for your help, I really appreciate it. A warm hug, mate.