PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
An open question for Meer maintenance - what’s your opinion on cleaning the shank and stem post smoking?

I understand the theory of meerschaum absorbing the oils and contributing to coloring but … leaving pipe juice in the mortise and stem is gross and tastes like shit. Is this a requirement for proper coloring???

I have what appears to be the world’s slowest coloring Meer - ever. I immediately wipe the bowl with a paper towel and ream as necessary (it builds cake quickly and has been reamed many many times over the years). I also run a pipe cleaner through the stem after every smoke because, yeah, gross otherwise. When the hubastank appears I scrub the shit out of the mortise.

Is the hubastank and bad taste a requirement for incredible coloration? Am I doomed to accept decades of slow coloration or alternatively smoking stanky??

I’ve read about butt plugs and leaving a plug of presumably awful tasting tobacco at the bottom of the bowl, but … just no on the latter.

Is there something I am missing here or …? I’m reasonably certain I’m not smoking it wrong as I put the tobacco in the big hole, draw on the stem end and otherwise smoke the Meer like every other pipe, but honestly I’ve got briar pipes that have colored more than this one particular Meer. Not kidding.

I’m okay if this Meer is just slow but I’ve wondered for years about whether smoking a juicy pipe is necessary to achieve a darkened Meerschaum pipe. Because … ugh.

Please advise. 🤷🏼‍♂️🙏

Reactions: seanv

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've gotten to a point that I just blow out all of my pipes. For some reason I just can't get cake to build in any of them so meticulous cleaning is out the window. That being said, some meerschaum pipes just won't color. This one, and it is block meerschaum, was heavily smoked by a previous owner then was subjected to my smoking habits. No coloring whatsoever.

20221217_132116.jpg

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I have no idea, but for what it's worth, mine is coloring quite well. I also smoke it every day. Also, it has those cheap derlin/nylon/plastic whatever they are screw in tenon and mortise connection things.

Once I am done smoking, I first blow it out through the stem, then blow out the chamber. Then, I run a pipe cleaner down the stem. It doesn't go all the way to the bowl, the draft hole is off center and a different angle than the mortise. Anyway, I run the pipe cleaner in, pull it out, then I set it down and that's it post-smoke. I don't even separate the stem and stummel, none of that.

Next day, just before smoking, I separate the stem and stummel and use a pipe cleaner wetted with spit (just damp, I lightly lick half the pipe cleaner) that I run through the stem again, then through the draft hole before reassembling. Next, I wipe the chamber out with a paper towel just before I load a bowl. Chamber has no cake at all.

Mine has never gotten funky and in almost a year, I've only actually cleaned out the mortise once because the build up in there would get restrictive when it got wet.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I blow back into the stem. If I’m smoking another right after then I’ll load up once the juice (if any) has been absorbed in the bowl. If I’m not smoking another, I’ll let the meerschaum absorb the juice in the bowl and then I’ll run a pipe cleaner through the stem. For what it’s worth I have an Altinay that has colored without being heavily chain smoked or anything and I was more meticulous about cleaning it during and after smoking. The coloring of meers is extremely unpredictable regardless of the cleaning habits you choose to employ.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I suspect this is because of how slow you smoke but I’m not sure. This is after around 100 smokes and wiping out the bowl sometimes after smokes. This pic is after a bowl before wiping it out. View attachment 279051

Wow, I have never seen a meer cake like that!!! Mine does build cake rather suddenly and dramatically at a certain point and then I cut it back but I guess that’s what would happen if I didn’t. I’ve always read that thick cake can crack a meer, but clearly that’s not the result on yours. Wow!

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Watching em color is fun, but sometimes it can be a long boring road. If coloring is your main objective you'll get far less enjoyment out of your pipe. I keep the shanks of all my meers clean, I'd rather have a clean pipe than a colored pipe.
This has always been my perspective. I'm just not all that focused on the coloring...and I can't imagine not using pipe cleaners.

I wipe the chamber out with a paper towel after every smoke and use pipe cleaners on stem and shank (have to ream occasionally).

As for the coloring...it's different to some degree on every pipe...but generally speaking the shanks color first and bowls very slowly if at all (I don't see how not running a pipe cleaner through the shank would make any difference).

It's typically the heel that colors most, but I have one that the top of the shank is noticeably darker than bottom...go figure.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Wow, I have never seen a meer cake like that!!! Mine does build cake rather suddenly and dramatically at a certain point and then I cut it back but I guess that’s what would happen if I didn’t. I’ve always read that thick cake can crack a meer, but clearly that’s not the result on yours. Wow!
I don’t think it’s quite as thick as the picture makes it out to be but there is absolutely substantial cake. Once my favorite tamper doesn’t fit in the bowl anymore I scrape out the cake in my meers. Never all the way back though because I’m afraid to damage the meerschaum.

Reactions: seanv and yanoJL

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I don’t think it’s quite as thick as the picture makes it out to be but there is absolutely substantial cake. Once my favorite tamper doesn’t fit in the bowl anymore I scrape out the cake in my meers. Never all the way back though because I’m afraid to damage the meerschaum.

Must be a trick of the photo because I thought the cake was like 1/8 + all around! 😄

• Haha

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
@Chasing Embers: My pipe is virtually identical to the one in your picture. I had the original stem replaced and the new one is a saddle tortoise shell though. I always figured the lattice would color first but that theory is shot down in flames, lol.
IMP gifted me a lattice for my upcoming birthday. Well see how that one turns out.