PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Good morning, good afternoon, good evening.

I have bought a pipe from EBay - see the attached photos - that was sold as a meerschaum with a Meerschaum cigarette holder.

Is there a sure fire way of knowing if it is a real meerschaum and not a resin or something similar? If so, how?

I haven’t received them yet but want to check when they arrive.

Thanks for your time.

912F34E9-AC23-49E8-87D7-061C5CB056A7.jpeg

B2A9484A-4ED4-4F4D-B17F-2A2B06F82B65.jpeg

Reactions: chopper and JOHN72

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Next question - does meerschaum get “full”? i.e does it have a finite amount of juice that it will soak up or not?
I've seen some old ones that look saturated. They look midnight black. And apparently they weigh a significant amount more then they did before. Basically at least a life time of smoking to get there.
And the chances of it being anything other then block are pretty much next to nothing. Haven't had one story here of someone getting anything other then block without it being advertised as pressed.

Reactions: Franco Pipenbeans

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Anyone know what kind of resin would be used to make a fake meerschaum? And how would it smoke? This is a new one for me, don't think I ever heard of it before.... and to think, I usually know it all!!! puffy

• Haha
Reactions: dunnyboy

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Anyone know what kind of resin would be used to make a fake meerschaum? And how would it smoke? This is a new one for me, don't think I ever heard of it before.... and to think, I usually know it all!!! puffy
The only reason I ask is because I bought a really cheap, new pipe, sold as meerschaum from Amazon. I didn’t realise it was coming from China; I’ve no idea what it was made from but I’m nearly certain it wasn’t meerschaum - during the second smoke I managed to catch it on a towel hanging on the washing line and it flipped the pipe out of my mouth. In slo-mo I saw it fall to the concrete floor and I thought “We’ll that’s that one done then!” and the bloody thing bounced - twice!

I’m guessing real meerschaum would have at least cracked, if not shattered? Like a clay pipe would?

• Wow

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
I've seen some old ones that look saturated. They look midnight black. And apparently they weigh a significant amount more then they did before. Basically at least a life time of smoking to get there.
And the chances of it being anything other then block are pretty much next to nothing. Haven't had one story here of someone getting anything other then block without it being advertised as pressed.
That’s good to know.

I can’t see me smoking it all the time so it should hopefully last me a fair while, I was just curious about how much it would soak up.

mav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 14, 2021
Chicago
Tap some water with your finger, and wipe on it. Original Meerschaum block will absorb water. The faster it absorb, the purer it is.
That's the best way I've found, you'll also know when you smoke it because as you get to the bottom the first dozen smokes you will get an earthy, clay taste happening. I haven't been smoking these long enough to know absorption but if you go on eBay you can see some that are almost translucent, fully saturated.

mav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 14, 2021
Chicago
The only reason I ask is because I bought a really cheap, new pipe, sold as meerschaum from Amazon. I didn’t realise it was coming from China; I’ve no idea what it was made from but I’m nearly certain it wasn’t meerschaum - during the second smoke I managed to catch it on a towel hanging on the washing line and it flipped the pipe out of my mouth. In slo-mo I saw it fall to the concrete floor and I thought “We’ll that’s that one done then!” and the bloody thing bounced - twice!

I’m guessing real meerschaum would have at least cracked, if not shattered? Like a clay pipe would?
Just a word of advice, if you are in a cold climate don't smoke outside in below freezing tempts, I cracked a shank that way