PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Agreed............... My Grandmother always called it "Decoration Day"...........
I have fond memories of placing flowers on the graves of the deceased with her when I was young.......
Always thankful for what our boys fought for............ FREEDOM!! Never forget it or take it for granted..........

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
It's a shame that many think of Memorial Day as only a three day weekend and what stores are going to have the best sales.

We are having lunch today with our daughter and grandsons (3 & 8) today. I'm going to explain to the 8 year old the meaning of Memorial Day and why we celebrate it. Hopefully they're teaching that in schools.

1653741335123.png

Jan 27, 2020
Most holidays have turned into beer fest rife with consumerism. Maybe a good way to spend this sort of holiday is to do some community service and I don't mean inhaling the wursts so that your cousin with a triple bypass doesn't eat them.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
A sad fact that I believe is important to bring awareness to is over 30,000 (mostly veterans, some active duty) have committed suicide over the last 20 years according to the "official" stats (some claim the actual number is higher than that). This is supposedly a significantly higher rate than the general population.

Reactions: edger and kurtbob

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The home where I grew up happened to be on the route of the town's annual Memorial Day parade, which was a showplace for school bands, Boy and Girl Scouts and Campfire girls trying to stay in step, various elected officials, and always a group of WWII veterans marching along in their various uniforms, one of them with a special silk worm pin he wore reminding us that he had bailed out over Germany as a pilot and been a prisoner of war, a spirited old guy by then who always had a sort of sardonic grimace/smile. We always put out our flag and stood at the curb with neighbors and fellow towns people to watch, cheer, and salute the flag, unless we happened to be marching with one of the groups.

In later years, I went with my wife and her cousin and a different cousin's husband to decorate the family graves in three different cemeteries in Scotland County Missouri, family stretching well back into the 1800's. We visited with groups of others at the various sites. My wife's dad's grave was appropriately posted with a little American flag in honor of his Army service as a teenager during World War I in the trenches in France. My wife came with cut flowers for all the family graves. I drove the group around in a strange little Nissan cube station wagon we'd rented from the airport in St. Louis. Weather permitting, I'll fly our American flag, a ship sized flag, off our porch tomorrow and Monday.

I always put the flag out when I get up and "strike the colors" at sunset. It lives by the front door rolled up on its pole.

• Love
Reactions: edger and kurtbob

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I'm looking forward to smoking the meershaum pipe my wife got me for Christmas.

I've reserved it for special military occasions; Memorial Day, Independence Day, Veterans Day & the Coast Guard's bday. I may march with my DAV chapter in the local parade as well before paying respects at the Western Reserve Veterans Cemetery.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I'm looking forward to smoking the meershaum pipe my wife got me for Christmas.

I've reserved it for special military occasions; Memorial Day, Independence Day, Veterans Day & the Coast Guard's bday. I may march with my DAV chapter in the local parade as well before paying respects at the Western Reserve Veterans Cemetery.
I do something similar in that I smoke MM American Patriot and Independence Day on July 4th in a MM General or McArthur.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
It's a shame that many think of Memorial Day as only a three day weekend and what stores are going to have the best sales.

We are having lunch today with our daughter and grandsons (3 & 8) today. I'm going to explain to the 8 year old the meaning of Memorial Day and why we celebrate it. Hopefully they're teaching that in schools.

View attachment 147848
To you point sir, just had the facility manager walk up to me in the shop. He said “happy Memorial Day” then stuck his hand out and then said “thank you for your service”. This guy is a 20 something year old college degree holding idiot. I blame his parents.

Reactions: scloyd

mahew

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2017
Kentucky Hills and Hollers
This is a day I always think of my grandfather. He enlisted in the Marines during WW2 when he was thirty years old, not your typical 18 year old. He was a radioman that served with the Second Marines in the South Pacific and was wounded on Saipan. He carried shrapnel from a grenade blast in his body throughout the rest of his life. According to him, he was in the last action of the war before Japan surrendered and was a part of the post war occupation force. A particular story that he often shared was how his buddy asked him on a particularly rough night of shelling, exactly how does one pray? My grandfather would not ever have thought of himself as a hero, but he was to me.