PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
So I have a couple tins of the States of VA release and decided to make a few mixtures with one of the tins.

First off, I really enjoy the matured Bright VA brick we got in the tin, I wish they would just sell this on its own. So I decided to make a VaPer with it.

The brick weighed around 13 grams after I had smoked a small bowl of it. So added about 10% perique (1.3g) to the rubbed out flake, mixed it up for a good while to combine and I was left with a very sweet tasting VaPer. Right up my Alley. Using fresh Sutliff TS20 perique.

The next two mixtures I ended up making one ounce (28.3g) of each, using the remaining red and stoved in the tin, I broke them in half as even as I could.

I mixed up an English blend that had very dark, sweet and smoky notes. I really enjoy this mix more then some commercial english blends I smoke. Very lat forward tin note but pretty balanced in terms of flavors in the actual smoke.
Here is the break down, nice and simple:
7g States of VA Red
7g States of VA Stoved
6g C&D Izmir
5g C&D Latakia
3g Sutliff TS20 Perique

Next I mixed up a VA/Ori/Per blend that is the most complex of the three flavor wise. Notes were shifting between sweet, sour, woody, earthy, almost cigar like. The tin note is very cigar like. Fast paced puffing did bring forward what I can only describe as an ultralight cigarette note.
Here's the mix broken down:
8g States of VA Red
8g States of VA Stoved
8g C&D Izmir
4g Sutliff TS20 Perique

So yeah all in all I'm very satisfied (and surprised) with how all of these turned out. Just curious if anyone else was mixing these up as well and what were your results?

Brewfan

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 5, 2021
Louisville, KY, USA
I also really like the golden VA in it, but the tin I opened had a miniscule amount of it compared to the red and stoved. The stoved alone was probably 50% of the tin, which was unfortunate because I find it overpowers everything it's mixed with.

The next tin I open I think I'll mix in some outsiders like you did.

Reactions: Peter Turbo

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
I also really like the golden VA in it, but the tin I opened had a miniscule amount of it compared to the red and stoved. The stoved alone was probably 50% of the tin, which was unfortunate because I find it overpowers everything it's mixed with.

That's weird I thought all three bricks would be the same size/weight I guess they skimped on a few tins.

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA

Ive been smoking Hearth and Home Bright Night and its a really great bright va, like a deeper, sweeter version of what we got with states.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I'm trying to understand... Is "States of Virginia" the name of a product that has been released by a company? Maybe one that did so over the summer while I wasn't paying attention?
Otherwise, I am not sure what you are talking about.
States of Virginia is one of those limited editions, and it comprises a trio of distinct tobaccos all held within a single tin. Each of the tobaccos are variations on Virginias, including stoved, Yellow, and Red varietals, each with their own unique flavors and aromas.

States of Virginia is one of those limited editions, and it comprises a trio of distinct tobaccos all held within a single tin. Each of the tobaccos are variations on Virginias, including stoved, Yellow, and Red varietals, each with their own unique flavors and aromas.

Thanks, hate I missed it. It must have been released in the summer?