PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I was in Campbell's about 1.5 years ago. In speaking with the small clerk (Josh, maybe - the small, soft spoken gentleman with glasses and a sweater), they are willing to ship in Michigan.

I'll post my "origin story" later, but here is the Campbell's basket pipe that got me started. It's still in use today and a great smoker.

View attachment 207004

I don't have a pic, but I still have the Campbell's store brand pipe that was my first expensive pipe - cost me $10, back in '72 or '73.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I haven't been in there in ages, but that's what i recall.
Correct. Maybe 15 house blends and a handful of tins, plus a jar of Bullseye coins. The pipe tobacco space is the size of a medium bookshelf.

I wish I took advantage of Campbell's more in college, but didn't know where the pipe journey would take me or how Fortuna I was.

Reactions: Laurent

trudger

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
I’ve lived in mid-Michigan for almost 30 years now, but it’s still not home. We’re close to my wife’s family, which is nice, but my heart is still in Chicagoland, where we came from. If anyone asked, I’d say, “I live in Michigan,” not “I’m a Michigander.”
I can’t wait to move out of the Metro D. Northern or Western Michigan will do fine, UP even better.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I can’t wait to move out of the Metro D. Northern or Western Michigan will do fine, UP even better.
My job takes me to different parts of Michigan at times, although I'm primarily out of Warren and Flint.

The work is the same, but I find it strange how the culture, atmosphere, and people substantially differ in Detroit, Flint, Kalamazoo, Lansing, Grand Rapids, Bay City, and Traverse City.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
My job takes me to different parts of Michigan at times, although I'm primarily out of Warren and Flint.

The work is the same, but I find it strange how the culture, atmosphere, and people substantially differ in Detroit, Flint, Kalamazoo, Lansing, Grand Rapids, Bay City, and Traverse City.
What would you say some of those differences are? I'm in Lansing but not an American and have noticed some of this but haven't been able to put my finger quite on it.

trudger

Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit

Agree totally, so done with entitlement and pushy. There are wonderful people here and amazingly beautiful places and I want to be among them.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
What would you say some of those differences are? I'm in Lansing but not an American and have noticed some of this but haven't been able to put my finger quite on it.
Lansing is a place where everything changes yet it all stays the same. It's similar to Meteo Detroit, but everything is just on a smaller scale and only 15 minutes away; from the concerts (Common Ground versus Ford Field), to arts (Broad versus DIA), to sports (Lugnuts versus Tigers), to food (Kellogg Center versus Kruse & Muer or Lelli's), and festivals (Art Festival versus Arts, Beats and Eats).

Add in that Lansing dies in the summer when the government is out and the students leave, with very few of these groups being invested for more than 4 years. It makes for some people being a false nice, since any interaction is unlikely a long term "thing". Those that stay tend to dig in deep and outside of Lansing, East Lansing, Okemos, and Holt, it's all "lifers" in farm towns.

Keep in mind, I lived in the Capital Area for 18 years, with 12 of them being on the Southside across from Steak N Shake. And I would move back if I could since the drama and disputes are smaller scale as well (but for the recent campus incident). The people are good and hard working, and it is the outsiders that cause the most issues (such as the riots).

Oddly, once I left campus, I rarely returned and felt too old; especially with various shenanigans. And I only started appreciating the area a few years before I left.

What area of Lansing are you in?

Reactions: Laurent and trudger

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Lansing is a place where everything changes yet it all stays the same. It's similar to Meteo Detroit, but everything is just on a smaller scale and only 15 minutes away; from the concerts (Common Ground versus Ford Field), to arts (Broad versus DIA), to sports (Lugnuts versus Tigers), to food (Kellogg Center versus Kruse & Muer or Lelli's), and festivals (Art Festival versus Arts, Beats and Eats).

Add in that Lansing dies in the summer when the government is out and the students leave, with very few of these groups being invested for more than 4 years. It makes for some people being a false nice, since any interaction is unlikely a long term "thing". Those that stay tend to dig in deep and outside of Lansing, East Lansing, Okemos, and Holt, it's all "lifers" in farm towns.

Keep in mind, I lived in the Capital Area for 18 years, with 12 of them being on the Southside across from Steak N Shake. And I would move back if I could since the drama and disputes are smaller scale as well (but for the recent campus incident). The people are good and hard working, and it is the outsiders that cause the most issues (such as the riots).

Oddly, once I left campus, I rarely returned and felt too old; especially with various shenanigans. And I only started appreciating the area a few years before I left.

What area of Lansing are you in?
I'm by Frandor.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I’ve lived in mid-Michigan for almost 30 years now, but it’s still not home. We’re close to my wife’s family, which is nice, but my heart is still in Chicagoland, where we came from. If anyone asked, I’d say, “I live in Michigan,” not “I’m a Michigander.”
I'm a Michigander. My g'g'g' Grandpa moved here in 1827 . Settled in Troy twp for a few years, then moved to Shiawasee County, north of Byron.
If you draw a line from Lansing, east to the coast, and another south to the Ohio border, you will mark out the area I have lived in my entire life.

Simplicity

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 20, 2020
Michigan
I'm a Michigander. My g'g'g' Grandpa moved here in 1827 . Settled in Troy twp for a few years, then moved to Shiawasee County, north of Byron.
If you draw a line from Lansing, east to the coast, and another south to the Ohio border, you will mark out the area I have lived in my entire life.
I graduated from Byron!

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I graduated from Byron!
Do you know where Cole Road is? That went by his farm.
Although we wandered, my grandparents returned to Bancroft in the mid-1930s. My dad and his sister both graduated from Bancroft High School - they had one, then. My grandparents are buried in Bancroft. My grandmother lived there until about '62, when she moved to Florida to be near her brother. My aunt lived in Owosso. Her grandson - my first cousin, once removed - now owns her house.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I just got an newsletter from The Country Squire and it contained this:
“Love the shop. Great atmosphere and has been worth every 15-hour trip down there (I'm from Michigan). Jon David is very knowledgeable and has an excellent supply of house-blended tobaccos that are all worth a try. Can't wait to go back a fourth time!
Matthew, Michigan

Was this one of you guys?

trudger

Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
I just got an newsletter from The Country Squire and it contained this:

“Love the shop. Great atmosphere and has been worth every 15-hour trip down there (I'm from Michigan). Jon David is very knowledgeable and has an excellent supply of house-blended tobaccos that are all worth a try. Can't wait to go back a fourth time!
Matthew, Michigan

Was this one of you guys?
Probably one of the Furniture City Pipe Club guys from GR. They all have a thing going.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Paging @CaptJ .

Welcome aboard from Metro Detroit. The Michigan presence is strong here, as evidenced by this thread.

Sad day for the Spartans, by the way. I used to cook for Coach Izzo regularly at the Evergreen Grill in East Lansing, off of Abbott (former post office, then PanTree, and now Dublin Square). Medium well steak and some wine was the standard order.