Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
It's been awhile since I've posted on the forums, I've been reading a bit, but haven't been too active. Now that its warming up I'll be getting back to smoking(The cold make smoke not very fun). Anyways, I applied fora job in the kitchen at a hospital. I had an interview already, and did a cooking test. The test went well, it seemed. They had another applicant doing a test today, and the told me to expect a call on Thursday. The position is called Relief Cook, basically I work where they need me when they need me. I hope I can eventually get a full time job there, as the benefits are great.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Congrats! I'm sure you are a great cook, but having spent a good bit of time in a hospital bed and eating the food, it strikes me as a little comical that you would have to take a cooking test to cook at a hospital! Hopefully you can add some secret ingredients (like maybe salt or pepper, lol) to bring some life to hospital food!

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
@petes03, you'd be surprised how many hospitals are ramping up their food and nutrition departments. We used to contract out for all our meals at the hospital but now have a trained staff who individually prepare and deliver meals to patients on demand. Patient satisfaction is very important now that inpatient business has become so competitive. One third of our yearly bonus is dependant on patient satisfaction goals. (The other two factors are budget and patient safety goals)

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
People have to eat, and for many people in a hospital, they don't have the option of getting food elsewhere. Thefood at this hospital is actually quite good.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
@tuold. That's good to know! When you're in that hospital bed for weeks, and the only thing you have to look forward to is a meal, it's disappointing when that food is disgusting.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
People are lucky to find a real professional cook. So much restaurant and hospital cooking is done

out of a looseleaf notebook by people who only want to punch the clock. Food is really how we get

through life, and bears some attention. My wife was a farm girl who grew up assisting her grandma

in cooking for the family and hired helpers. Later as a journalist, she ended up in New York City

reviewing restaurants and doing food writing (after a number of other beats). So she goes the whole

range, from down home to haute cuisine and wine pairings. Good luck on your prospective job.

No one needs good food like patients.

Status
Not open for further replies.