Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Jan 27, 2020
I found this quote interesting from Milan Kundera considering it was made in 1980--as it seems to of become much more entrenched and prevalent since.

Speaking to Roth in 1980 in the New York Times, Kundera lamented that he felt “the novel has no place” in the world, saying “the totalitarian world, whether founded on Marx, Islam or anything else, is a world of answers rather than questions”.

“It seems to me that all over the world people nowadays prefer to judge rather than to understand, to answer rather than to ask,” he continued, “so that the voice of the novel can hardly be heard over the noisy foolishness of human certainties.”

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
I'm ignorant of Kundera but happily interested now.

On his observation and your remark, I am reminded of Martin Marty's (whom I love!), The Fundamentalism Project, a multi-volume set from 1987-1995. I observed the very thing he (and you mention) first hand over the last 30 years in various church congregations where I worked, and in the world at large through mainstream news. Spot on. Thanks for posting.

Plus, he (and you) got me thinking about closed mindsets (if you will LOL) and novelists' audiences and craft. Perhaps other artists and crafts-people have sensed the same shifts and may I say, "hardening," in their respective audiences?

I seem to recall something from one of the volumes noting a possible link between technological advances (i.e., during the 19th century) and similar shifts away from free-thinking. I'm sure I'm putting this awkwardly, so apologize for muddled expressions LOL!

kindly
mike

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I just felt he was a guy who loved to pose interesting questions without saying anything relative to the answer, Kind of a poser, if you will.

Reactions: UB 40