PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BriarBrook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2022
Missouri
Headed in this direction next week for a short vacation... Milwaukee/Green Bay/Door County. Any recommendations for a solid shop? thanks!

Aug 1, 2012
If you're in Milwaukee on Saturday morning, go to Metro Cigars Brookfield at 9 AM to have a smoke with the pipe club there. It's a really great time.

Reactions: BriarBrook

Andre_T

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 17, 2018
Long Island, New York
Headed in this direction next week for a short vacation... Milwaukee/Green Bay/Door County. Any recommendations for a solid shop? thanks!
Uhle's for sure. If you are in Madison (I saw Door County in your post) It's a Cigar bar but if you are looking to smoke somewhere Maduro is a place in Madison. No good Pipe places there that I know of.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Visited Uhle's for the first time yesterday.

It's definitely not for me. It's 90% cigar shop, and their pipe tobacco is 200% the price of anything online. (E.g. 2 oz. C&D tins were about $25!)

Hope you enjoyed Door County -- we camp at Peninsula State Park each summer.

Reactions: JOHN72

BriarBrook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2022
Missouri
Visited Uhle's for the first time yesterday.

It's definitely not for me. It's 90% cigar shop, and their pipe tobacco is 200% the price of anything online. (E.g. 2 oz. C&D tins were about $25!)

Hope you enjoyed Door County -- we camp at Peninsula State Park each summer.
Sounds like it was a good thing we skipped Uhle's... we started in Milwaukee and ended up in Egg Harbor. Had a fantastic time. Weather was MUCH more enjoyable than back home in Missouri. Lots of good beer, fried cheese, and fried fish.

• Love
Reactions: SBC

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Door County is gorgeous. Take in a fish boil if possible, a fine old Wisconsin tradition.

At the end of my hitch in the Navy, I was assigned to the recruiting station in Milwaukee for about eight months before getting out of the Navy about a month early to attend school.

Saving up for tuition, I lived in a shambling old downtown hotel mostly showering at the nearby "Y."

One winter weekend morning, I asked a policeman what the temperature was, and he said it was forty below zero. I asked if that was the wind chill, and he said no, that's the temperature. I don't think he was kidding ... wind off Lake Michigan.

I don't remember any pipe shops in my wanderings around Milwaukee. I didn't have a car at that point.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some years after my Navy posting in Milwaukee, my late wife and I revisited Wisconsin and really enjoyed an evening at a supper club. Supper clubs are a sort of Midwest tradition, are usually rural, and feature good cocktails, free relish tray, and hearty dining. Some have music and dancing.

We were car camping, but had clothes to go to the supper club. After supper, we went to set up camp, having enjoyed a few drinks. I expected us to do a shoddy job of setting up camp in our state of repair, but in the morning, everything was ship shape, I guess from practice over a week or two. Mud in your eye.

Andre_T

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 17, 2018
Long Island, New York
Some years after my Navy posting in Milwaukee, my late wife and I revisited Wisconsin and really enjoyed an evening at a supper club. Supper clubs are a sort of Midwest tradition, are usually rural, and feature good cocktails, free relish tray, and hearty dining. Some have music and dancing.

We were car camping, but had clothes to go to the supper club. After supper, we went to set up camp, having enjoyed a few drinks. I expected us to do a shoddy job of setting up camp in our state of repair, but in the morning, everything was ship shape, I guess from practice over a week or two. Mud in your eye.
I miss Supper Clubs. It is a draw to bring me back to WI.

Reactions: Egg Shen