36 Fresh Nørding Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Apr 2, 2024
Eastern CT
I bought a couple new cobs recently, along with the Country Gentleman I already had. The Country Gentleman was my first pipe, and apparently I had a bad habit of clenching too tightly when I first started, because the tooth marks are deep enough that it's hard to get a pipe cleaner in the end. I noticed Missouri Meerschaum had some replacement bits, and I decided to mix it up a little. I got a black curved Danish bit for the Country Gentleman, which I think is much nicer looking than the odd bent bit that it came with. I also bought a new Iconic Legend, I think an anniversary version of the regular legend, which comes with a white bit. I didn't particularly like the look of it, so I put a straight amber Danish bit on it. My other new pipe is the Huck Finn, which comes with a long amber bit. It's a cool little pipe as it comes, but I saw they had a short bit called the Royal, which turns it into the perfect little pocket pipe. It's so light, I can hold it in my mouth while I'm hiking like it's hardly even there. On the website they describe it as "perfect for a 10 minute smoke," but it lasted me about half an hour. The Royal bit was a hair too loose on the Huck Finn, but a paper shim made it fit just fine. All in all, I think my cobs are looking pretty sharp with their new bits. Picture taken while on a hike today, enjoying some Captain Black Royal in the Legend.pipes 4-2-2024.jpg

johnnyflake

Might Stick Around
Jul 29, 2023
Henderson, Nevada
I too love Corn Cobb pipes. Back in the day I did have a lot of briars as well as Cobbs and Meerschaums. However, about 10 years ago I sold off all but 3 of my briars and 4 of my Meerschaums. I had some cash on hand as a result so, I decided to pick up a stash of Corn Cobb Pipes, extra stems and other things for my old age. This is what I ended up with in Corn Cobbs.

MVC-001S.JPG

Grimlineman

Lurker
Nov 14, 2023
Georgia
Nice pipes!

I have a question about the anniversary Legend.

Is the draft hole flush with the bottom? I have an older Legend and it’s perfectly flush on the bottom. I bought some more expensive Missouri cobs and they are no where near flush or straight like my older legend. I hear their quality control has gone down hill lately so wondering how the newer legends draft holes sit.

Reactions: walkingpipeguy
Apr 2, 2024
Eastern CT
Nice pipes!

I have a question about the anniversary Legend.

Is the draft hole flush with the bottom? I have an older Legend and it’s perfectly flush on the bottom. I bought some more expensive Missouri cobs and they are no where near flush or straight like my older legend. I hear their quality control has gone down hill lately so wondering how the newer legends draft holes sit.
Thanks! I wouldn't call it flush, there is a slight gap on either side of the shank, but hardly big enough for tobacco bits to get into. Looks pretty centered. My 12 year old Country Gentleman might have less of a gap, but it's hard to tell because it's mostly filled in with tar and detritus.

Reactions: Grimlineman

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I planned on putting a black Danish on my bent Let Freedom Ring, and was bummed that the replacement Danish stems were 1/2” longer than the original.