PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Masterblaster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2021
Evans, GA
My local B&M has a few good looking Ben Wade billiards and I was considering picking one up but can't find much on the internet, and non of the usual online retailers sell this particular brand. Pipedia does have a short mention of the modern iteration and a quote from an advertisement

"The drilling and finishing of these hand made pipes would put many far more expensive pipes to shame. The bowls are carved at the world famous 32 St. Andrews Road, Walthamstowe pipe factory, in London, England. The same factory where Dunhills are made. Every pipe is drilled spot on and exhibits a good blast and all have high quality German Vulcanite mouthpieces. Every pipe is stamped "Ben Wade, Made in London, England". The craftsmanship and smokability have always been superb.

Sounds great but you know how advertising goes!

Anyone have any experience with modern Ben Wade pipes?

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I haven't, but with full availability to inspect in detail the pipe or pipes you are considering, you should be able to make a good call based on inspection, rather than a few random opinions garnered on the web.

Good luck!

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Well, the most current iteration is made by Simon, the owner of My smoking shop UK and the bowls are turned in Spain by Bruken (same as standard grade Peterson).

But I suspect your pipes aren't "that modern". To answer your question, they're a great pipe but since they were never the flagship brand for their later manufacturers, it means you'll need to do a careful inspection. The construction on these is generally great. They're a reliable brand and if a pipe strikes your fancy I wouldn't hesitate to buy it for a reasonable price.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Three pipes have a family reunion after the lights go out in the office, and all the world is still.

Daddy pipe says, I was lovingly carved by Preben Holm, and am in so many ways blessed.

Mama pipe replies, and I’ve spent all my life as a basket pipe, forlorn and scorned, an object of ridicule and disgrace.

And Baby pipe says who’d have thought we’d have led such different lives, all of us coming from the roots of the same Heath tree, but I wound up as a Lee Star Grade, and there’s this old gray haired lawyer that babies and cherishes me like I was one of his own children.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think Ben Wade makes a good pipe generally. However, it is the only English brand I've ever traded away. It was a four square panel billiard sandblast, a full-size pipe that I liked as soon as I saw it. Unfortunately, it had a finish that was too thick and glossy that did not age at all. It looked plasticized after a while, and it just didn't appeal to my sense of what a briar pipe should be. I probably should have sanded off the finish, but I think I just grew tired of looking at it.