PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
North Central Florida
These blends are surprisingly consistent and therefore, reliable. They typically load and burn easily and have a moderate nicotine content with slight flavoring added, I'm talking PA, SWR, CH, Because they are classics with decades of success, I think it's imperative that any pipe smoker try them at least once. Be a part of history.
Also: try Match ERR, 5 Brothers, Amphora Burley, HH Burley Flake, Big 'n Burley, and on and on. Get a good handle on the varietal. Try them all. Enjoy the journey.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I say if you’re curious about any tobacco buy it and smoke it.
There are blends I want to try and until I do, they feel like something unchecked on my to do list.
This. Try anything/everything you're even slightly curious about, while you still have the chance. It still blows my mind a little that you can't just casually try Middleton Cherry Blend anymore. Not that I necessarily think highly of it, but I assumed it would have been among the last tobacco blends in existence.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
For the classic burley based "all-day smoke", it's hard to beat the American Classics. My fave of the ones still available is Prince Al. For matches to discontinued blends, Milan does a great version of Kentucky Club Mild. Sutliff Match Ready Rubbed, for the old Edgeworth RR, is certainly worth a try. These are your classic all-day blends; they won't beat you over the head with flavor or nicotine, but are interesting enough to repeat.

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
For the classic burley based "all-day smoke", it's hard to beat the American Classics. My fave of the ones still available is Prince Al. For matches to discontinued blends, Milan does a great version of Kentucky Club Mild. Sutliff Match Ready Rubbed, for the old Edgeworth RR, is certainly worth a try. These are your classic all-day blends; they won't beat you over the head with flavor or nicotine, but are interesting enough to repeat.
Thanks I'm going to give the Sutliff RR Match a try, along with their "Duke Albert" PA match.

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
The taste of PG is what you'll get from codgers that new burleys won't give you. Seriously though I'm of the opinion every pipe smoker should try a few codger blends. They're such an important part of pipe history and are great for times you don't want to smoke something more expensive. SWR and H&H (which is VaBur) are part of my regular rotation right now, I'm not sure if I'll buy more after the pouches run out but I might once I acquire some Edward G Robinson since that's supposed to mix well with both of them. However I've never had actually any modern burleys, but I do know they tend to incorporate condiments like Perique and Latakia so you won't exactly be getting a full burley experience.

Jbrewer2002

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
Very interested in this and Pegasus. Surprised I've not yet pulled the trigger on either one.

BTW, I've mixed CH and Five Brothers to good effect. The two need a few weeks to marry, I think. Hat-tip to @pipestud for the suggestion.
I enjoy mixing Five Brothers with a few different aros. The Five Brothers also consume a bit of the moisture

Reactions: futureman

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
Very interested in this and Pegasus. Surprised I've not yet pulled the trigger on either one.

BTW, I've mixed CH and Five Brothers to good effect. The two need a few weeks to marry, I think. Hat-tip to @pipestud for the suggestion.

This is a good mix I've smoked for quite some time with my morning coffee. I've also had good results with Carter Hall and C and D Big n Burley or OJK mixed 50/50. They seem to work very well together giving something just a wee bit more than the sum of their parts. The C and D burley seems to not just tone down but change the topping slightly and gives nice strength fir a morning eye opener. The Carter Hall to its credit takes rough edges of the strong C and D burley.

Great home mix that I always have a big swing top jar of on my desk.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
This is not an answer to your question but instead a recommendation. If you haven’t already, check out Watch City Cigar bulk pipe blends. Waltham Broken and Deluxe Crumb are some fine burley blends among many others they sell that I haven’t tried yet.
+1 Watch City blends are extraordinary. Also, if you want to explore some classic Burley blends, check out Uhle's, whose Burley blends have been much loved for decades.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon