PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
If you suspect mold but it’s not super obvious, would you ask for a new tin and not even try to smoke it? I’m on the fence, it was an old, 25 yrs, expensive tin.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Photos are required, but I’m having a hard time believing mold would be present in 25 year old tobacco without being entirely and completely obvious - dryness from age, if mold had been an issue at some point I would think it would be extensive, rank odor, fuzziness, etc. Not to say impossible, but … you get my point.

@hoosierpipeguy is right though, I don’t know how good your chances are of a replacement or refund on a secondary market gamble. Seems like an accepted risk when buying something that old. I’ve bought some 10+ year old tins that seemed fine but were unsmokable junk when finally opened. Meh, that’s the risk buying vintage tobacco.

Reactions: Ben.R.C

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I had a couple bad batches of briar fox before Jeremy changed the recipe. I got refunded but they weren't that old. One was 4 years old, and a lb I got was brand new and I could see the fuzz before opening it.

99 percent of the time, if it's mold, you will know. Ever leave food in the fridge for too long? Yeah it looks like that.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I had a couple bad batches of briar fox before Jeremy changed the recipe. I got refunded but they weren't that old. One was 4 years old, and a lb I got was brand new and I could see the fuzz before opening it.

99 percent of the time, if it's mold, you will know. Ever leave food in the fridge for too long? Yeah it looks like that.
In the words of George Carlin it’s either bad meat or good cheese.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
If you suspect mold but it’s not super obvious, would you ask for a new tin and not even try to smoke it? I’m on the fence, it was an old, 25 yrs, expensive tin.
If you've found a seller who guarantees unopened vintage tins, please will you let us know who it is? I've never heard of one.

As for whether I'd smoke it, I'll have to see and smell it first.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
This is the kind of risk I assume when buying old tins on secondary market. You pay a premium, yet its a gamble. The cellar could have taken all precautions, yet mold can still happen. This makes refunds almost non existent with these sales.
In the future when looking for old blends, look for jarred (I know, people like the fancy tins). Jarred from a tin or bulk allows no room to buy moldy tobacco.