PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Dave4211

Might Stick Around
May 15, 2020
Tennessee
I drink coffee all day unless I switch to water or beer. But, coffee is good anytime.

I've had a lot of the fancy stuff. Most of it was good. I've cooked coffee in a pot on a fire about as much as I've made it in a drip maker. We also used a stovetop percolator here for a few years.

As long as it's hot and black, most coffee does me right. It's all different, but I usually like it.

We also do the Maxwell House nowadays in some kinda' fancy insulated drip thermos looking contraption. It's like a drip maker with no burner. Mr. Coffee brand. Forces me to microwave cups of lukewarm coffee all day long.

Whatever works. It's bought and paid for.

UncleRJ

Might Stick Around
Dec 13, 2020
Central Ohio
In the category of Benefits of Pipe Smoking: The Morning Coffee. Several years ago before retirement, I wondered if the office coffee really sucked that bad or if it was something else. Of course you couldn't smoke in the office. The only difference in coffee from home to office was the fact that I liked my morning coffee with a pipe. That was the main difference. The pipe gave me that smokey, nutty taste that I like to have with my dark, bold coffee. The so-called experts say that you loose the use of a great many taste buds once you get into the 60 age group. That is probably true for me, plus I believe coffee isn't the quality it use to be either, but due to the two pipe bowls with my morning coffee, it is still a blessing and an enjoyment.
My own taste buds are also declining with age (64) so I decided to up my coffee game. After a lot of research, I purchased a basic Ninja coffee maker. I fill it with freshly ground Brooklyn Italian Dark Roast and I set it to "Rich" brew. Now I can really taste the coffee which of course I enjoy with my morning pipe!

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
My own taste buds are also declining with age (64) so I decided to up my coffee game. After a lot of research, I purchased a basic Ninja coffee maker. I fill it with freshly ground Brooklyn Italian Dark Roast and I set it to "Rich" brew. Now I can really taste the coffee which of course I enjoy with my morning pipe!
We are the same age and we like that dark, bold coffee. My wife used to say "You like strong coffee". My reply "No, strong coffee is coffee that has sat in the pot for 5 hours, bold coffee is just rich, nicely roasted pieces of heaven." I like your idea. I will have to try it.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I buy light to medium roast beans, grind fresh daily and use a French Press. That morning coffee and two bowls of tobacco are simply divine.
Simply divine????? Try the Boston version of that...........wicked pissa. Now doesn't that sound better than any sentence with divine in it? Divine is a chick word at all times. During the years I ground beans I always drank a dark roast. Mark, ever try using the Bodum Santos vacuum coffee maker? It works as good if not better than a French press. They are not expensive either.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Simply divine????? Try the Boston version of that...........wicked pissa. Now doesn't that sound better than any sentence with divine in it? Divine is a chick word at all times. During the years I ground beans I always drank a dark roast. Mark, ever try using the Bodum Santos vacuum coffee maker? It works as good if not better than a French press. They are not expensive either.
I have not. I'll look into it.

Jim Sobie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2021
Allen Park, Michigan
A cup of Kroger 100% Colombian, brewed strong (1 cup of grounds per pot) and a cob of burley. Other tobaccos and beverages may happen later during the day, but the morning cup and bowl do not vary.

Reactions: JOHN72
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
One opinion.

What about when the coffee's crap? Or great coffee too long on the hot plate? Milk and sugar save the day.

I drank only black coffee for almost 50 years. Now I make my own cappucinni, and it's as good as from a fine coffee shop. Still enjoy a great black coffee when I'm away from home.

No comment on the balance of the post....
With tepid coffee, I like to add Stok. It's an espresso caffeine shot in a coffee creamer cup that is free at 7/11.

Stok provides a boost of caffeine and rounds out the flavor when the coffee is subpar. Otherwise, I enjoy black coffee. Black coffee may taste like dirt, but it was ground this morning.

Reactions: jpmcwjr