PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
C&D Dark Burley. It is the only straight dark burley I have found that has not been toasted, cased, topped or otherwise adulterated. And that includes Five brothers, another unique tobacco—but one that certainly has a topping. If I am wrong, I’d love to know what others there are. If I am not, c&d dark burley is the last example of an otherwise lost genre of pipe tobacco

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
I've noticed C&D makes A LOT of oddball blends with strange component combinations. None that particularly interest me though as I'm more of a traditional English man.

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
Not sure if it is unique, but it is uniquely good: Toscano's Sinfonia. Not many blends combine both latakia and DFK and manage to make it work, but Sinfonia does just that.

In the same vein of being uniquely good and also under the banner of a cigar manufacturer, Warped's series of blends are some of the few pipe blends that use cigar leaf well. Until the End and King's Stride are particular standouts.

Cornell and Diehl has several blends in their lineup that can fit this bill. Their Old Ones line, inspired by H.P. Lovecraft, come to mind. They nearly all employ Katerini to some degree, and the aromatic blends are topped with something akin to currants or wine.

Chalaw87

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2021
Northeast TN
Come to think on it, Ken Byron Ventures is constantly putting out new small batch blends, often with high quality aged components that exist in amounts too small for more major manufacturers. A number of those blends have been highly innovative and eminently smokeable.
Ive become a big fan of KBV for this reason. I completely agree with you.

hoipolloiglasgow

Can't Leave
Oct 14, 2023
United States
I don't think that there is anything like Bob's Chocolate Flake. The whole lakeland style is unique to SG and G&H in itself. Also, just tried Brebbia Balkan. It's a balkan that doesn't feature Virginias, but does have perique and DFK. The perique in it is very plum-like and sort of makes up for it having no Virginias. It's actually quite good.