PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tzinc

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2021
Toronto
I have a chance to get the one of two of the same pipe for the same price the only difference being normal stem vs mounted stem.
If I resell is one stem style easier to sell or more popular.

How do people feel about the looks of mount pipes vs regular stem pipes? Would some people never get a mount pipe?

Reactions: JOHN72

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
To bring it down to cases, I recently used some store credit at SP to buy a pipe. I spent considerable time deciding what pipe I wanted, between three or four candidates that appealed to me. One of them had a military mount. I was attracted to the metal work, and I do not have any military mount pipes, so it was a serious contender. This was a Nording Valhalla carved brandy. Finally it lost out to a non-military mount pipe, because the Valhalla appeared to have some bubbles in its rather thick finish. So as someone said, it is the whole pipe and its various characteristics that finally tips the balance.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
Why dont you ask yourself this question after you get both pipes in your hand and have a chance to examine them for yourself? Just a thought.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have owned one military mount in over 20 years of pipe smoking. It was a Castello egg and it smoked fine. I haven't bought one since as that was over a decade ago.
I am not a fan of the look.

tzinc

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2021
Toronto
I order pipes online, get them in ... don't like them, don't smoke them ..so then I have to resell them to get some of my money back lol. I know it's a disease lol.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I enjoy my army mount/spigot pipes. But not having them isn't a deal breaker. The entire pipe has to have that certain something in order for me to get it.
OK, military mounts. It's all according to taste. Some people really love a military mount or a spigot and others don't. Just depends on who's looking when you're selling.
It's really what you like. I don't got out of my way to buy army mounts or spigots.
I buy them if I like the pipe irregardless.
Here are a couple of army mounts vs push-pull tenons. They appeal to me equally

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg