PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
Does anyone have experience with this pipe maker/distributor?

Mr. Balandis

I know the pipes are made in Poland and they seem to be of decent quality, according to various sources on FB and by looking at the pictures.

The prices seem pretty fair, they use acrylic stems and use different types of wood, including briar, olive and teak.

I'm considering a purchase, but I was just wondering what you all thought, or if anyone had any further info.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I deal with the owner's son personally. I have a couple of their pipes and have all been high quality at incredibly fair prices. They use good pipe makers. They had been associated with Mr. Brog but split because of the quality issues there. Now Balandis Pipe House keeps good carvers, some of whom have been making pipes for decades. So far, I have been very impressed and I have more coming.

Reactions: RamSeva

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I would post a pic of the pipe that I bought, but it looks like my network here at work won't let me, so I may have to wait until I get home tonight.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
A churchwarden for $21 CAD?????
Are these pipes good quality? I know it's made of pear wood, but... the prices seem too low when compared with Savs and others.
I've gone twice through their catalog, just gawking. If you guys vouch for them, I'll be ordering!

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Honestly, the prices are low because they are in Poland. They make less money there, and we get the advantage of providing a price that they have trouble getting there but seems great to us. Like I said, mine have all been great. And I am getting more. I buy the briar over the pear wood, though.

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
Here is the one that I just purchased,it's a perfectly sized Devil Anse shape.

il_fullxfull1705031504_2hbr-150x150.jpg

Here is one that a guy on FB posted that he wanted and I like it too... maybe next time.

il_fullxfull1752455887_21at1-150x150.jpg

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I noticed that quite a few of their pipes use 9mm filters. If the Vauen adapter can be used on them, guess this shouildn't be a problem.
What really caught my eye is that some specify under 'filter' that they sport stingers or 'cooler'. What's a 'cooler'?

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
What really caught my eye is that some specify under 'filter' that they sport stingers or 'cooler'. What's a 'cooler'?
I think you made a pretty good guess that it's probably a stinger of some sort.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Nice ones, Mark. I personally have not seen the cooler or stinger, but likely some form of condenser mechanism. I can ask if you want. The filter should come as no surprise, most of the European market prefers filters. These are made in Poland.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Thanks for checking. Guess the best bet then is to stick with their 9mm drilled pipes. I did notice that some pipes are apparently filter- and stinger-less, such as this one.
But I guess best practice is to ask them a question prior to purchasing, just to be on the safe side.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I had to roll my eyes and chuckle at the names for their pipes with small bowls: 'Huana' and 'Stoner'. In a pinch, guess you could also use them for tobacco. :lol:

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
One more question, guys; sorry.
What kind of stem material did you go for? I knew about vulcanite and acrylic, but these fellows seem to have materials galore... I had never heard of abs or polyamide.

Status
Not open for further replies.