PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

MartyA

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2024
Iowa
I guess there are only so many ways to make a pipe rack, but since I smoke churchwardens almost exclusively, I wanted a rack to cram a number of long pipes into a limited amount of space. I accomplished this by making a double tiered rack with staggered spaces for pipes. The holes for the bowls go all the way through to accommodate a couple of cavalier pipes.

I actually cobbled this thing together late last Fall, but I had to wait for warmer weather to stain it. The loose parts visible in the background of the first pic are the result of a first attempt when I realized I was crowding things TOO close.

Attachments

• Churchwarden Rack  (1).jpg
    Churchwarden Rack (1).jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 43
  • Churchwarden Rack  (2).jpg
    Churchwarden Rack (2).jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20240519_095441_burst_01.jpg
    IMG_20240519_095441_burst_01.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20240519_095529_burst_01.jpg
    IMG_20240519_095529_burst_01.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

AreBee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2024
Farmington, Connecticut USA
I "googled" lesepfeifen as I had never heard the term. Love it!

For those who don't know:

"In German, "Churchwarden" is translated to Lesepfeife, which literally means "Reading Pipe." For decades, the long-stemmed shape has been an ideal choice for pipe smokers who enjoy pairing a favorite novel with their favorite tobacco: Its lengthy profile allows for comfortable smoking while keeping the stummel and smoke from obstructing the pages.."

MartyA

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2024
Iowa

"In German, "Churchwarden" is translated to Lesepfeife, which literally means "Reading Pipe." For decades, the long-stemmed shape has been an ideal choice for pipe smokers who enjoy pairing a favorite novel with their favorite tobacco: Its lengthy profile allows for comfortable smoking while keeping the stummel and smoke from obstructing the pages.."
And that's what got me hooked on churchwardens. :) I always read outside with a book. Usually an OLD book. After accidentally discovering how perfect long pipes are for reading, I did some googling simply to find some "inexpensive" churchwardens. That's when I discovered that in German they are called "lesepfeife," which meaning reading pipe, is absolutely perfect.

Templekeeper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2023
Toronto

Thanks for that! Loved learning about this term!

Templekeeper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2023
Toronto
Nice rack! And nice stain, too!

As a fellow Lesepfeife enthusiast, I also went the same route after looking at a rack online that was not able to be shipped to me.
Similarly, I went with holes for the bases to accommodate some of those oddly shaped pipes...

Attachments

• PXL_20230520_002611371.jpg
    PXL_20230520_002611371.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20230520_002151030.jpg
    PXL_20230520_002151030.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 8

AreBee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2024
Farmington, Connecticut USA
Nice rack! And nice stain, too!

As a fellow Lesepfeife enthusiast, I also went the same route after looking at a rack online that was not able to be shipped to me.
Similarly, I went with holes for the bases to accommodate some of those oddly shaped pipes...
That's beautiful! I absolutely love the live edge!

I have a project working in my head and the odd shapes of my pipes have me thinking about how I will do the resting spots. Thinking about something malleable at the base that can form to different shapes like a pointy bulldog or a squarer panel pipe. I was thinking of something like bean bags set flush to the wood's surface.