PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

KevKasper13

Lurker
Jan 12, 2022
Bristol, Pa
To start: I grew up and still live in the suburbs of Philadelphia. Bled green until I was in 9th grade. This is the year I changed teams to the Houston Texans. A year before the Texans played a single game I jumped from my home town team that I was tired of and adopted this new team. (Please rip me apart for this if you feel like I deserve it. I will enjoy reading the comments.)
Then for the next few years the Texans sucked and the Eagles strung together the best couple seasons I saw them play in many years. It was like breaking up with a girl and she comes back a week later with a makeover looking better than ever. I’ve stuck with my switch and am still a loyal Texans fan.
My wife grew up in the same suburb as me but her father grew up in Buffalo and she was raised as a Bills fan.
We have a three year old daughter that we decided to raise as a hometown girl. Eagles green all the way. Hats, gloves, jerseys, shirts and finding time to watch the games that we dvr while we stream our teams playing.
Last week she starting saying let’s go Bills during the game. Deep down I was hoping she was only saying it because we were all excited to watch playoff football. Then today she told me she loves the Bills and wants a jersey so we found my wife’s old tyrod Taylor jersey and she had been wearing it for hours now.
Im not mad because she chose a team that isn’t mine. Just mad because I still have no Texans fans to watch the games with.
Pictured below are my wife, daughter and brother in law

Attachments

• 272D919A-4574-4559-92A5-2C313567D19B.jpeg
    272D919A-4574-4559-92A5-2C313567D19B.jpeg
    71.3 KB · Views: 13

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
Boy do I understand where you're coming from with this post! ?

I grew up in SE Texas rooting for the Oilers. When they left I wad devastated. I was relieved & excited when the Texans were announced. I had Texans gear a couple years before they even played a down.

Fast forward to today. I'm married to a woman from Iowa who grew up a Bears fan. We both served in the Coast Guard, moving around the country for the past two decades & finally settled down outside Cleveland, OH last year as we were preparing for military retirement.

Her and I both now root for the Browns. Our oldest (18) is a diehard Saints fan. My next oldest (16) loves the 49ers. The twins (15 b&g) like the SeaHawks. The toddler (2) watches the Brownies with us. They each picked up football wherever we were stationed.

It sure makes for fun filled Sundays. Go Dawgs!

191a5baed7f596d90bfeceed49265904.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I understand! I've always adopted the teams where I live, so for the last 40+ years, it's been the 49ers, SF Giants, SJ Sharks, and the Warriors BB team. But my son pointedly chose to be a Raiders fan, in part 'cause it wasn't Dad's team.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I am a dedicated ?s fan. I rarely miss watching a game if I can help it. I personally haven’t a clue how someone could just decide to adopt a new football team to cheer for. ?‍♂️ I mean really don’t understand it at all. Football Sundays are so important, cause an ?s victory sets the tone for the rest of the week. Win, and your riding high in the saddle and doing the Richard Pryor down the halls at work. A loss brings emptiness in the stomach while contending with those fake ass Dallas fans that’ve have no idea who Bob Lilly is ?! ? I was born to bleed green, and I’ve lived and suffered through many lean years of low production & mediocrity at best while sometimes being satisfied that I’m at least not a Browns fan. If I ever was gonna just get up and QUIT on the ?s, I’d of left when Leonard decided to let The Minister of Defense walk (92 was my all time favorite) ?.

So for me, I’m glad your daughter, whom I’m sure is a lovely young lady, doesn’t like your team…cause your team could be any team. And right now, the Bills are in the playoffs & the Texans are trying to find a clue on da couch. ?

PS: Congratulations ? on the newby due in August. ?☕

Last edited:

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Cheering for a sports team let’s me forget about the crappy day/week I’ve had with work or general life trying to provide for my family which is great for my mental health
The best fix I found for that years ago was finding a job that’s a better fit. Job stress will sicken you and age you beyond your years.
I second embers feelings. It's worth trying to find a job that is better all around. Pays enough, still satisfying and doesn't cause too much stress. It might take a long time but if you keep trying I bet it can happen.

BrokenRecord

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2020
PNW, US
Got to let your kids find their own way. If you wear your team gear long enough, they may switch sides. .__. I grew up an Oilers fan and switched to the Cowboys when the prior team left. I tried to get into the Texans but they suck so hard because of how the team is run by management. I just stopped caring and moved exclusively to watching baseball and sumo. If I watch football, I just watch whatever is on with little emotional attachment.

My kid has grown up in the PNW and absolutely hates all the local teams. For football, he likes the Raiders for some reason but switches around. For baseball, he decided at nine to root for the Astros, which is the team I follow. I brought him to a Mariners/Astros game last year. It was a terrible parenting decision as the crowd screamed the f word at both of us the whole game. I should have known better that some people take sports way too seriously.

tzinc

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2021
Toronto
Ouch the Bills will only break her heart (see earlier tonight) the only other team with worse luck is the Vikings (my team). I wouldn't wish those teams on anyone.

Reactions: jpmcwjr