PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Medy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2024
Chambersburg PA
Well it’s been about a week since I picked up my starter set. I’ve tried the 3 pinch and the rolling method of packing a bowl, and I like the rolling method. As for using a filter I found that I prefer to not use one. I get more flavor and have a better draw along with less relights. As for a Boswell blends I’m still working on the five blends I have they are all aromatics. May try picking up an ounce or two of the Boswell English blends here in a week.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Sounds like you’re already learning a lot. If you go towards Boswell's English blends a lot of people will recommend Northwoods but it could be too strong in flavor (or just right!) so if you want to try something lighter I’ve recently read someone recommending Mild English.

Reactions: jbfrady
Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
One thing to you need to be doing, if you're not already doing it, is something that everyone who smokes a pipe needs to do. It's probably the most critical and important aspect of pipe smoking. A lot of beginners overlook this particular aspect because of all the various contradicting and conflicting views on the various areas of pipe smoking. The internet can be a bit of an information overload at times, so it's understandable. But, the very most important thing when smoking a pipe, and I cannot overstate this enough, is to enjoy it.

Medy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2024
Chambersburg PA
Sounds like you’re already learning a lot. If you go towards Boswell's English blends a lot of people will recommend Northwoods but it could be too strong in flavor (or just right!) so if you want to try something lighter I’ve recently read someone recommending Mild English.
Okay I’ll get them both to try

Reactions: AroEnglish

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Aromatics can be challenging to smoke and I don't recommend them for folks just starting. Codger blends can be a good starting point, and there are quite a few well-regarded blends in just about every genre (VA, VA/Per, Burley, English, etc.) Enjoy the journey.

Medy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2024
Chambersburg PA
Okay so from what I’ve read in the forum and from online is that Aromatics are a challenge like Captpat said. Why would good tobacco shop put them in a starter set for new people to start with?

Briarcutter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 17, 2023
U.S.A.
I be
Okay so from what I’ve read in the forum and from online is that Aromatics are a challenge like Captpat said. Why would good tobacco shop put them in a starter set for new people to start with?
l believe they believe that those highly flavored tobaccos will taste good to the beginner and keep them smoking the pipe. Unfortunately, the challenges they present sometimes do the opposite. Keep asking questions, you'll find answers.

Old Smokey

Can't Leave
Feb 29, 2024
The Hollers of Kentucky in Appalachia
It's the flavoring. The idea is that if it tastes good then they'll be more inclined to continue even though aromatics take a while to get used to. Slow cadence, retrohaling, and frequent tamping is the key to enjoying a aromatic blend. I tend to lean towards aromatics but I've been smoking a pipe for 23 years.

Medy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2024
Chambersburg PA
Yeah I’m actually surprised the gentleman at the store didn’t tell me about the English blends as I told him I was transitioning from Cigars. I actually told him that would like to find one that was comparable to a Maduro as that was what I normally smoked and he said no

Reactions: kcghost

Medy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2024
Chambersburg PA
So I picked up the Northwoods today and already smoked a few bowls and I really like it! I don’t know if it’s because I’m switching between Aromatics and English blends or not. But I’m noticing I’m getting more flavor out of the Aromatics now.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
Aromatics usually smell better to other people in the room than they taste to the smoker. It takes some skill/experience to get the flavors out of most aromatics.

Aromatics are easier to sell to beginners because the tin note is so strong and is usually appealing. Many of us started with aromatics but they’re not the best thing to start with, IMO. The best starter tobacco setup would be one aro and a nice Burley blend or something with some Latakia.

Ultimately exploring what’s out there is a lot of the enjoyment of the hobby.

CrabbyPiper77

Lurker
Mar 24, 2024
Illinois
So I picked up the Northwoods today and already smoked a few bowls and I really like it! I don’t know if it’s because I’m switching between Aromatics and English blends or not. But I’m noticing I’m getting more flavor out of the Aromatics now.
I am a pipe newbie. I started back in January. I was sent a sample of Northwoods by a generous guy I bought a couple of pipes from and after smoking my first bowl of it, I just wanted more. I ordered some along with Countryside. I love them both.

Reactions: Medy

Medy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2024
Chambersburg PA
I am a pipe newbie. I started back in January. I was sent a sample of Northwoods by a generous guy I bought a couple of pipes from and after smoking my first bowl of it, I just wanted more. I ordered some along with Countryside. I love them both.
Yeah I really like the Northwoods. I’m gonna get some more blends every payday. Luckily I’m only minutes away from the shop so I don’t have to pay shipping and I can smell the blends before I get them.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Yeah I really like the Northwoods. I’m gonna get some more blends every payday. Luckily I’m only minutes away from the shop so I don’t have to pay shipping and I can smell the blends before I get them.
Boswell’s do sampler packs - a good way to try a few blends with similar components, but in different proportions.

Reactions: Medy