PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mar 11, 2023
New Haven, CT
Hello Everyone,
A few weeks ago I posted a thread introducing myself and asking what y'all thought I should get for my first pipe. I got a lot of great suggestions and more replies than I thought I would. I want to thank this community for making me feel welcome and for all the great advice I received.
I was asked, by more than a few people, to keep y'all informed and let y'all know what I had decided on. Well, for my first pipe I went with a Bjarne Viking 102 pipe. It's straight briar with a Dublin shaped bowl and a smooth finish. I absolutely love it! I purchased some Captain Black original tobacco, a knock-off Old boy lighter, some pipe cleaners and a 3 in 1 pipe tool. ~The lighter also has a built in tamper/pic that is removable.
After 2 weeks I already purchased a 2nd pipe, this time going with a Peterson Standard Rustic 307 which I am currently enjoying as I type this.
I have a few questions I am hoping y'all can help me with.

1.) My Viking pipe is an estate pipe and the metal band is loose. Is there a type of glue I can use that will be able to stand the heat?
Here is a picture if it.

20230329_101802.jpg

2.) Is it okay to smoke different types of tobacco in the same pipe or should I use a different pipe for each type of tobacco I smoke?

Thank y'all for your replies.

Attachments

• 20230329_101523.jpg
    20230329_101523.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited by a moderator:

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
You have great taste in pipes. I have a Bjarne Viking classic and it is one of my favorites. I do not have a Peterson Standard Rustic 307 yet but I'm not quite dead yet so there is a possibly that I will have one of them sometime. As for glue for the pipe, earlier suggestions are good. I tend to try to make certain pipes for my codger blends, ones for aromatics and ones for English/Latakia blends. The codger blends and aromatic blends can interact but I like to keep the Latakia separate. Continue on, my friend.

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Good to hear your update.

No opinion on glue.

If you read the forum, you will learn about 'ghosting' a pipe. In my opinion, until you get a more sensitive and discerning palate it will not matter. For the beginner, use what you have and learn. There is plenty of time to spend $$$ on shiny trinkets in the pipe world as you experience more.

-Doc

Reactions: EA/DC and Jbyrd

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
CA Glue will work, which is a fast bonding glue used in woodworking. Regular woodworking white glue won't. Also, try heating the band with a lighter before putting it into place.

I'm not an expert pipe repairman. I just play one in pipe forums.

Hmmm. What does “CA” stand for in terms of CA Glue? I have not been able to figure this out.

greysmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Hmmm. What does “CA” stand for in terms of CA Glue? I have not been able to figure this out.
"Cyanoacrylates are a family of strong fast-acting adhesives with industrial, medical, and household uses. They are derived from ethyl cyanoacrylate and related esters. The cyanoacrylate group in the monomer rapidly polymerizes in the presence of water to form long, strong chains.... Cyanoacrylate adhesives are sometimes known generically as instant glues, power glues or superglues. The abbreviation 'CA' is commonly used for industrial grade cyanoacrylate." - From Wikipedia's entry for Cyanoacrylate.

Templekeeper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2023
Toronto
Agree with @Doctor Chopper, it will really take quite a lot of time and experience to be able to tell all of the subtleties and differences in tobacco. So yes, for new folks same recommendation, smoke everything in the same pipe(s) (that will actually help you tell the differences between tobaccos more)

Jbyrd

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 4, 2023
Springfield MO
I will dedicate pipes to genres but not necessarily a single blend.
Agreed. I have also changed pipes over though because I didn't like the way it was with say an English so I tried VA blends in it and after a while I feel like the ghost goes away.

Reactions: trudger

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
That's a fine first pipe. I find estate pipes are much more interesting than new ones.

One thing to remember about cobs is they tend to have add a weird gluey taste to the smoke for the first several bowls. Once you've smoked that out they're neutral, but it's something to keep in mind when you're smoking one early on. I haven't reached that point with mine, so I have a mini meershaum pipe that I use to get the pure taste. It was 45 USD at my B&M, probably cheaper online. It gives about a twenty minute smoke but what's great with meers is you can smoke another bowl once it cools down.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I would avoid smoking a lot of blends with latakia in the same pipe as virginia due to the issue with ghosting. Of course, it will not hurt the pipe if you do; however, you may not get as pure of a taste experience if you do mix and match blend families. Of course, please understand that I am speaking to my preferences so ymmv.