My first Castello and so far, I am having a it of trouble with it.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

richireland

Lurker
Dec 15, 2022
Fernandina Beach Florida
So I ordered a Castello billiard pipe with an interesting smooth but carved (faceted) bowl in a light finish. It's a beutiful pipe with a fairly large bowl capacity. It's not really broken in quite yet but I am having to fiddle with that thing more than I would like. I have had a few situations where it just plugs. Also, the bowl gets hot really fast and I mean pretty uncomfortably hot. I don't have either issue with most of my other pipes. Am I packing too tightly? Am I smoking too fast and do different pipes have a propensity to smoke cool or hot for a give brand/shape? I would love to hear some feedback, suggestions or advice.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
If you have other pipes and they smoke fine, just treat it like other pipes. Pack normally, don't rush, don't puff.. If pipe gets uncomfortably hot, easy off. Some pipes smoke hot initially, but they should improve most of the time. Some don't, but.. Things happen.

Reactions: samuelgawith01

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
All good advice so far. I’ll just focus on the possibility mentioned by @pipingfool that your Castello may have a more open draw than you’re used to. (I have four or five and they are all very easy draw-ers.) Which means that maybe the cadence or “pull” that you’re used to maintaining on your other pipes may be too much with this Castello, leading to puffing that may not necessarily be too fast in general but which is too fast for this pipe. It’s also possible that, because you’re sensing that openness, you’re packing too firmly to compensate. Finally, if it’s been a while since you’ve broken in a brand-new pipe (which I’m assuming this is, not an estate), keep in mind that it will take time to build up a cake that will help to provide an added layer of “insulation” and heat control to the bowl.

BTW, I’m guessing the open draw is also responsible for the clogging you’re occasionally experiencing; the wider passage is allowing smaller pieces of tobacco to get into the draft hole. You might want to try packing larger pieces first.

Last edited:

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
Rich, take the brand out of the equation. Any pipe might have similar issues as you have explained it. It might just be this pipe or it might be technique of the user. No brand is batting 100% satisfaction for every customer.

Different brands use different specifications on the "engineering" used in each pipe. Small differences can make for large differences for the end user. A more or less open draw requires alterations in how one packs and the rate one puffs.

Sometimes it just takes a minor adjustment in what we users do to make any pipe offer us a great smoke.

Then again, sometimes a pipe is just going to be one of those that never works for us, and the brand stamped on the shank means little, in that regard. I have owned a few Castello's that no matter what I did just did not work for me. I could also add other brands and say the same. I also have a number of Castello's that are superb, as well as other brands.

IMHO, and many may disagree, but 99% of the time it's user technique which needs to be adjusted for maximum results.

Mike

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I have many pipes in my rotation. Quite a few are Castello. Thru the years I have learned that you have to learn each pipe and how it smokes. If you want the best, smoke out of a pipe, you can’t smoke each one the same. Some pack tight, some lose. Some smoke slow, some fast. You have to learn the pipe.
+1

Reactions: samuelgawith01

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
He said he ‘Ordered’, so I’m assuming he’s trying to compare a new uncoated chamber with older pipes broken in, or they have coated chambers on them.

When you get a pipe that has an uncoated chamber, if you really care about the pipe, you need to smoke it very slowly, barely getting it warm, until you build a nice 1mm carbon layer inside the chamber.

So how old is the Castello, about how many bowls have you smoked in it?

Depending how often the pipe is smoked, and the types of blends being smoked, it can take many months to break it in.

P.S. I hope you’re not smoking fast, and trying to keep it lit with a nice big glowing ember inside a new pipe with an uncoated chamber.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Rich, take the brand out of the equation. Any pipe might have similar issues as you have explained it. It might just be this pipe or it might be technique of the user. No brand is batting 100% satisfaction for every customer.

Different brands use different specifications on the "engineering" used in each pipe. Small differences can make for large differences for the end user. A more or less open draw requires alterations in how one packs and the rate one puffs.

Sometimes it just takes a minor adjustment in what we users do to make any pipe offer us a great smoke.

Then again, sometimes a pipe is just going to be one of those that never works for us, and the brand stamped on the shank means little, in that regard. I have owned a few Castello's that no matter what I did just did not work for me. I could also add other brands and say the same. I also have a number of Castello's that are superb, as well as other brands.

IMHO, and many may disagree, but 99% of the time it's user technique which needs to be adjusted for maximum results.

Mike
Great advice from Mike (and it's good to see you back on the forum!)
Castello pipes are largely trouble-free, hence their price and popularity. It's likely your style causing the issues.

Reactions: richireland

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
All good advice so far. I’ll just focus on the possibility mentioned by @pipingfool that your Castello may have a more open draw than you’re used to. (I have four or five and they are all very easy draw-ers.) Which means that maybe the cadence or “pull” that you’re used to maintaining on your other pipes may be too much with this Castello, leading to puffing that may not necessarily be too fast in general but which is too fast for this pipe. It’s also possible that, because you’re sensing that openness, you’re packing too firmly to compensate. Finally, if it’s been a while since you’ve broken in a brand-new pipe (which I’m assuming this is, not an estate), keep in mind that it will take time to build up a cake that will help to provide an added layer of “insulation” and heat control to the bowl.

BTW, I’m guessing the open draw is also responsible for the clogging you’re occasionally experiencing; the wider passage is allowing smaller pieces of tobacco to get into the draft hole. You might want to try packing larger pieces first.
You said everything I was too lazy to type.😊

Reactions: rmbittner

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
Often, a new pipe has wood chips or 'splinters' in the draft hole. Don't assume that the final finishing, or clean up, of the draft hole was accomplished at the factory. Or, that some wood chips have not collected there during manufacture. Seems like more often than not an airway cleaning bit comes out with chips in it when running through a brand new pipe (or even a well smoked one for that matter).

Reactions: richireland

ADKPiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Adirondack Mountains
I have several pipes that like to clog halfway through a bowl.
I've found that if I pack the bowl and then before lighting I remove the stem and push a reamer in several times to be sure it's good and clear it's less of an issue.
The heat might be related if it is causing you to relight over and over.

Reactions: yanoJL