PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

StrangeVice

Lurker
Jul 1, 2023
I bought a barely smoked estate Cavicchi last week off of eBay. This is a first for the maker and also a first for Italian made pipes in general for me.

I'm impressed. I've only smoked a handful of bowls through this pipe and it's already amongst my favorite pipes thus far. After a few Peterson purchases (I like the look) I did not feel like I got my money's worth with it's nice to feel like I got a stellar pipe this time for the money spent even if it is a higher amount.

The only complaint I have is the weight. It's not unreasonable by any means for a pipe this substantial but it is on the heavy side for me. I clench all day. Fair trade though for such a pleasant tasting and smoking pipe. Not bad on the eyes either.

Here's to hoping it's all up hill from here!

1000001875.jpg

Last edited:

StrangeVice

Lurker
Jul 1, 2023
Not a great picure but that grain looks pretty strong - how many C's?
We don't see many here, but their grain can often outshine a Castello in a similar price point.
I'll see if I can get a few more photos in this thread soon. It's CCC.

Last edited:

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
With estates in the EU Cavicchi often are more expensive than their Castello brothers. Of course condition and grading makes a difference. There are more Castellos to be found.

Reactions: StrangeVice

StrangeVice

Lurker
Jul 1, 2023
With estates in the EU Cavicchi often are more expensive than their Castello brothers. Of course condition and grading makes a difference. There are more Castellos to be found.
I haven't seen nearly the amount of Cavicchis in a condition I would buy as I have Castellos here in the states personally. I may give Castellos a try now after enjoying this pipe so.

Reactions: Sigmund

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I love large pipes but getting the proper weight is indeed a challenge and this one is about as heavy as I'm like to go. I find the trade off worth it here though.
Oh yeah I've certainly been tempted before. For straight pipes I really don't like going over 35g. Thats like.. absolute maximum.
On bent pipes I'm more liberal- perhaps upward of 45g.

Reactions: LeafErikson

StrangeVice

Lurker
Jul 1, 2023
Oh yeah I've certainly been tempted before. For straight pipes I really don't like going over 35g. Thats like.. absolute maximum.
On bent pipes I'm more liberal- perhaps upward of 45g.
That sounds like a nice sweet spot. I've found straight pipes under 40g to be reasonable for myself. Bent pipes I'm more flexible with. This pipe comes in just a hair over 68g!

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I've actually found a few Moretti pipes that are quite the lookers. Perhaps I'll grab one soon. Thanks for the suggestions!
I actually just won a Moretti on eBay. Astonishingly, I was the only bidder and paid $101 shipped, $80 without shipping. I’ll post pictures when it arrives. The chamber is very small which is my preference.