PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Pipes505

Lurker
Jul 14, 2023
New Mexico
I was always fascinated by my grandfather’s pipe collection, which I inherited at around age 11. Dunhills, pre-transition Barlings, Sasieni, Charatan, Comoy all 1940s-early ‘60s. I’ve been a pipe enthusiast ever since. But all these years later (about to turn 54), and I never smoked any of his old high-grades. Only pipe’s I’ve bought. I guess I just always wanted to keep the old-timers in their professionally refurbished condition. Well, for some reason, I woke up today and said today’s the day, and I smoked my first Dunhill. No idea why today was the day. But I’m glad I did. There was something special about it. And it won’t be the last time.

Attachments

• IMG_2131.jpeg
    IMG_2131.jpeg
    159.3 KB · Views: 64

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Pipe enthusiast or Pipe smoker?

I noticed several of the Dunhills have pretty oxidized looking stems. Hopefully they haven’t been that way since you’ve had them. On an Enthusiasts side, several of those pipes would fetch a serious 3 digit figure of many hundreds $$$.

Considering the sentiment, and value, I’d clean the oxidation out, also oxidized stems don’t taste nice either.

Nice looking collection enjoy them. :)

Reactions: Pipes505

Pipes505

Lurker
Jul 14, 2023
New Mexico
Pipe enthusiast or Pipe smoker?

I noticed several of the Dunhills have pretty oxidized looking stems. Hopefully they haven’t been that way since you’ve had them. On an Enthusiasts side, several of those pipes would fetch a serious 3 digit figure of many hundreds $$$.

Considering the sentiment, and value, I’d clean the oxidation out, also oxidized stems don’t taste nice either.

Nice looking collection enjoy them. :)
Any suggestions for getting that oxidation off and, more importantly, keeping it off?

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
I was always fascinated by my grandfather’s pipe collection, which I inherited at around age 11. Dunhills, pre-transition Barlings, Sasieni, Charatan, Comoy all 1940s-early ‘60s. I’ve been a pipe enthusiast ever since. But all these years later (about to turn 54), and I never smoked any of his old high-grades. Only pipe’s I’ve bought. I guess I just always wanted to keep the old-timers in their professionally refurbished condition. Well, for some reason, I woke up today and said today’s the day, and I smoked my first Dunhill. No idea why today was the day. But I’m glad I did. There was something special about it. And it won’t be the last time.
That is an enviable collection! Chapeau!

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
Nice collection of your grandpa's precious pipes...I am sure he would want you to smoke them and enjoy them as he did...I bet it is a lot of special going on smoking them...Enjoy!!I would never sell them but smoke them...there is plenty of people doing restorations here -stems are labor intensive if they are really bad..

Pipes505

Lurker
Jul 14, 2023
New Mexico
Nice collection of your grandpa's precious pipes...I am sure he would want you to smoke them and enjoy them as he did...I bet it is a lot of special going on smoking them...Enjoy!!I would never sell them but smoke them...there is plenty of people doing restorations here -stems are labor intensive if they are really bad..
Some baking soda and water is taking it right off!

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Holy crap, 43yrs of sitting on them?!
I was 55 and hadn’t smoke a pipe before (at least not as we discuss smoking pipes here 😉) when my father gave me his pipes (nice, but nowhere near that nice of a collection) as a pre-inheritance (he’s 93 and still truckin’ as best he can) last fall.
I had them out of the box I shipped them home in the day they hit home and had cleaned up and smoked at least 3 within a week.
He was tickled when I texted him my avatar pic smoking his Sven Lar.
I’m sure your grandpa’s glad your enjoying them