Not open for further replies.

wildcat

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
DSCN2062.jpg
DSCN2053.jpg
DSCN2056.jpg
DSCN2054.jpg

Here (hopefully!) are some pics of a Kaywoodie I found at an antique shop in town. I actually left it behind and the doggone pipe wouldn't leave my head! I mean, all that tape (3 kinds:electrical, masking and scotch), what did it hide...? Finally the thought of just how much somebody must have loved that pipe and how it deserved to be loved again... ya know? Well I went back and the guy gave it to me on condition I show him how it turned out. Very cool! So here she is:

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
These are the before pics I take it. Are there after pics or was the curiosity just to see what was under the tape?
That is one loved pipe lol. Craziest thing I have ever seen. Thanks for posting.

wildcat

Jan 1, 2012
DSCN2075.jpg
DSCN2080.jpg

...and here she is finally finished! The crack as you could see was real bad. Years of smoking had discolored the wood as well as "softened" the edges of the crack so it no longer matched evenly or closely. The heat and moisture trapped under the tape for all those smoking years had caused the shank to swell a bit to as well as darken the shank.
(What follows may be painful to you expert craftsmen, but I don't have a woodshop etc!)I carefully removed the tape by hand and exacto blade. I next used my dremmel tool to remove the majority of the cake, careful not to damage the bowl (I didn't!) I cleaned the interior and exterior of the pipe with good ol' American whiskey! After freezing the pipe in the freezer to unlock the stem from the half of shank it was "welded" to, I soaked the stem in bleach and polished with extra fine steel wool. I covered the club symbol with vasoline to protect during bleaching. Next I again used my dremmel to sand down the shank so both sides matched better including the circumference. This removed a good portion of the darkened area I noted above along with some decent areas, but it had to be done IMO. Once happy with the results, I super glued the shank back together and began fine sanding until it was as smooth as I felt I could get it. I then took 3 shades of furniture stain markers to duplicate the grain/stain etc of the original. When I was happy with that, I waxed her up (not before she had a day or two of smoking tho!!). I cleaned the 4 hole drinkless with steel wool.
She smokes real nice! As far as I can tell she is from the 1930's (4 hole) but some sources say 4 holes appeared occasionally up to the 60's. The only markings that survived the heat and moisture under the tape are Ka....die, St...ard and what appears to be an 18. Only the 8 is clear and what looks like a partial 1 could be anything...
Thanks for looking!

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Nice save!! Not many would have went to the trouble! FYI- you don't have to cover the "club" in the stem. It's plastic and the bleach will not hurt it. Usually any metal or stamped logos that are painted need to be protected,also aluminum tenons etc.

Me-I would have made a tamper from it!

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Dude that pipe has to have a history. I would pull it out and just stare at it and wish it could tell me what its seen. Damn if our pipes could talk. Beautiful repair job.

wildcat

Jan 1, 2012
Great work... Pipes can be more fun to fix, than smoke sometimes!
LOL! This was really fun! I have my eye on two bowls (1 briar and 1 meershaum) at another antique shop in a box of bits and pieces of pipes now! The gentleman wants way too much for them, but I'm working on him!
Thanks to everyone for all the great comments!

Status
Not open for further replies.