New Accessories

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Apr 2, 2024
Eastern CT
Just scored my first estate pipe from Ebay. In unsmoked condition, no less! I like small pipes, and I like saddle bits. I saw it and had to have it. If it was a bulldog too, I'd do a backflip. I mostly smoke while walking in the woods, so it looks like an ideal little pipe.

It's been sitting in someone's closet for a long, long time. Smells like mothballs, although cleaning the bowl and stem with some whiskey got rid of a lot of the smell. The finish was dull and grimy, but all it took was rubbing it on my jeans a little and it shines like new. I thought the bowl was carbonized like a Dr. Grabow at first, but when I swabbed it out with a wool dauber with whiskey on it, all the black came out and I can see where the wood stain goes partway down the bowl, so it was never charred. Must have been coated with some kind of soot.

It has an aluminum stinger. As you can see in the picture, there is a vent for air/smoke to pass through on the side of the stinger, right where it comes out of the stem. Is the vent supposed to be facing up or down? I can't remember which way it was when I took the stem out the first time.

Speaking of the stem, it has a smell that I associate with old dry rotted tires. Much less after cleaning it. I assume it's vulcanite. Is the smell anything I need to worry about, or is that just how it is?

Pictured next to my Missouri Meerschaum Huckleberry Finn, which I turned into a stubby by putting a "Royal" bit on it. Both are a little over 4 inches long. The Short Snorter is more compact, but has a bigger tobacco chamber. Both are about 1-1/4 inches deep, the Huckleberry Finn is 9/16 wide and the Snorter is about 11/16, 1/8 of an inch wider. That's a respectable amount of tobacco for a tiny pipe.

I haven't found much information about it. I found a couple old listings for other "Short Snorter" pipes, that were also marked "Weber" and "Imported Briar," but mine has no other markings besides "Short Snorter."

I picked it up for about $24 with shipping. How did I do--did I find a gem, or overpay for some old junk? I haven't smoked it yet. What's the consensus on breaking in a "brand new" briar, should I smear some honey or something inside the bowl, or just smoke it?

Attachments

• 20240406_121107.jpg
    20240406_121107.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 20240406_121124.jpg
    20240406_121124.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 20240406_121311.jpg
    20240406_121311.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20240406_124204.jpg
    20240406_124204.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 20240406_124230.jpg
    20240406_124230.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 16

Bbailey324

Lifer
Jun 29, 2023
Austin, TX
Nice little pipe. I would pull the stinger out and put it in a drawer somewhere but that is me. The old tire smell is from oxidized vulcanite, part of which is in the airway. Polishing the exterior will help, the internal airway may need polishing as well. Mild abrasive on a pipe cleaner is a good place to start.

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
Just scored my first estate pipe from Ebay. In unsmoked condition, no less! I like small pipes, and I like saddle bits. I saw it and had to have it. If it was a bulldog too, I'd do a backflip. I mostly smoke while walking in the woods, so it looks like an ideal little pipe.

It's been sitting in someone's closet for a long, long time. Smells like mothballs, although cleaning the bowl and stem with some whiskey got rid of a lot of the smell. The finish was dull and grimy, but all it took was rubbing it on my jeans a little and it shines like new. I thought the bowl was carbonized like a Dr. Grabow at first, but when I swabbed it out with a wool dauber with whiskey on it, all the black came out and I can see where the wood stain goes partway down the bowl, so it was never charred. Must have been coated with some kind of soot.

It has an aluminum stinger. As you can see in the picture, there is a vent for air/smoke to pass through on the side of the stinger, right where it comes out of the stem. Is the vent supposed to be facing up or down? I can't remember which way it was when I took the stem out the first time.

Speaking of the stem, it has a smell that I associate with old dry rotted tires. Much less after cleaning it. I assume it's vulcanite. Is the smell anything I need to worry about, or is that just how it is?

Pictured next to my Missouri Meerschaum Huckleberry Finn, which I turned into a stubby by putting a "Royal" bit on it. Both are a little over 4 inches long. The Short Snorter is more compact, but has a bigger tobacco chamber. Both are about 1-1/4 inches deep, the Huckleberry Finn is 9/16 wide and the Snorter is about 11/16, 1/8 of an inch wider. That's a respectable amount of tobacco for a tiny pipe.

I haven't found much information about it. I found a couple old listings for other "Short Snorter" pipes, that were also marked "Weber" and "Imported Briar," but mine has no other markings besides "Short Snorter."

I picked it up for about $24 with shipping. How did I do--did I find a gem, or overpay for some old junk? I haven't smoked it yet. What's the consensus on breaking in a "brand new" briar, should I smear some honey or something inside the bowl, or just smoke it?
I love estate pipes. A chance to get really great pipes at a good price.

May I suggest that you look at some of the estate pipes for sale on this forum. @ssjones sells many and after he has refurbished them, they are in unbelievably great shape. He has a technique of reviving the stems especially that make them look new. As with any estate, I run a cleaner dipped in alcohol through them just to satisfy my on anal retentiveness, but I promise you, you will feel like they are new ones.