PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

dctune

Part of the Furniture Now
One year & nine days ago my wife gave me a birthday present. I tore the paper off, & there it was. A beautiful green box emblazoned with the last name of my 8-year-old daughter’s piano teacher. Now, Mrs. Peterson is short, & well-kempt for her age, not altogether unattractive, but I certainly didn’t think she could fit inside the box. Although, it did mention Dublin, Ireland, & naturally, I own a DVD copy of Sean Connery’s finest performance. But Darby O’Gil’s people are much smaller than Mrs. Peterson.

I undress…I mean, digress. (Sorry, ladies.)

So I open this beautiful green box, excited, remember all the reasons I worked so hard to trick this woman into marrying me 20 years ago. What did I find? A picture of a Peterson pipe. That’s it. To her credit, she did use my color printer for the picture. Which also bugged me bc now I also gotta get a new cartridge. But whatevs.

I was instructed by this fine woman to go pick out the one I wanted.

The holidays have just ended. I’ve just turned 44, literally. I’ve sat through 3 Christmases. Led worship at a Christmas Eve service in a barn. Endured 2 Christmas pageants at my daughters’ school. Had way too much human contact. Dreading New Year’s Eve festivities where we simply must have more human contact, stay up past my bed time, & watch people watch a ball drop who have spent the whole day in cattle pens relieving themselves on one another. I’m tired. And she gave me a task for a birthday present. Inside the box of the gift pipe I had given my dad just 4 days earlier.

But honestly, I was not ungrateful. It was very thoughtful of her to not just grab any old pipe that had Peterson on it. She doesn’t know a thing about fishtail vs. p-lip, finishes, etc.

Being the go-getter that I am, yesterday, 355 days later, I finally got around to go-getting that task accomplished. Snagged this beaut from Schwab’s in Lex.

P.S.: if you stop in, give Jeff a handshake, condolences, & a brief chat. His mother Pat passed about a month ago. He seemed eager & pleased to talk about her. Even have a tribute to her life on the marquee out front. Pat was very involved in the family business right to the end of her life.

Attachments

• IMG_1159.jpeg
    IMG_1159.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1157.jpeg
    IMG_1157.jpeg
    87.4 KB · Views: 53

dctune

I'm a Peterson Collector and smoker, to me you can't go wrong with a Peterson, enjoy yours. puffy
So far so good. Maiden smoke was last night. P-lip took a little getting used to. Not unpleasant, just different. Had to insert the stem a tad farther than I usually do. But it was clean smoked, cool, and the pipe stayed remarkably well for a first smoke. My dad loves his, too. I can see myself buying more of these.

Personally, I love a smooth finish the best. (Am I the only one?) This was one of 2 they had in stock. But there were a few rusticated ones I almost opted for instead.

dctune

Congrats on the beautiful Pete.

Stick to the P-lip. Pretty soon you'll put a Fishtail in your mouth and be wondering why you ever bought a pipe with one!
Yes, I’ve heard nothing but good things about the p-lip. I don’t find it unpleasant at all, just different. I think I anticipated it would be basically similar to a button. I’m looking forward to my next few smokes with it.

dctune

Didn't follow all of this - the wife's some kind of doctor, you spend New Year's Eve with heifers and . . . the holidays are over? Over?

HERESY!!! Check your Gregorian and church calendars and the Secret Santa thread for a newsflash - Christmas is coming!

Oh, and nice Pete!!

Lol. Let me clarify.

The wife is a doctor.

The people who go watch ball drop are here’s like into those sectioned-off pens in Times Square, & they have to arrive several hours prior from what I understand, for crowd control & safety measures. Sounds miserable. And idk what they do about potty breaks for all those people.

By NYE, I’m holiday-ed out. Heifers would be preferable tbh.

The holidays are certainly NOT over THIS year. My birthday is four days after Christmas. My post was referring to a gift I received on my birthday LAST year. It just took me 355 days to finally get around to going out and buying the pipe.

Hope that helps clear up the timeline!

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Congrats on the sweet pipe and sweeter wife! That 317 heritage is a looker and I’m sure it smokes like a champ.

Life gets busy for sure but I would’ve waited maybe a week to get a new pipe but not a year! 😉 But all’s well that end well.

I’ve got some relatives in Lexington and it’s on my list to visit Schwab’s.

Indygrap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 18, 2022
New Orleans, LA
I’ve been smoking pipes for a little over a year & managed to get 3 Peterson’s so far. I love them all & for different reasons. The 701 Christmas pipe is my everyday carry. It’s great for a quick smoke at work or while on the go. My 05 St. Patrick is about the only pipe of mine that makes burley flavorful. (To me anyway, still trying to figure burley out) My 314 system is just amazing for almost anything. I was originally just using it for aros, to keep the moisture & bite at bay, but it can handle almost anything. The P-lip took some getting used to & I’m still not ready to trade in my fishtails, but I get it. They are indeed a rabbit hole but a fun exploration.

dctune

The above post references your new pipe as a 317, looked like a 314 to me but that's likely because I've about 7 of them myself. And about 30 Petersons in all. And I find myself moving well toward the time I purchase ONLY P-Lips. They work well for me.
Mine is a 317 Standard system. I actually wrote it on the little paper in the box bc I’m generally daft when it comes to year, make, and model of various pipes. I realized years ago that I enjoy them just as much even if I don’t have a clue what the heck pipe I have in hand. Turns out the tobacco still lights and tastes great either way.

Suits my criteria, which are basically: how well does it smoke, how does it feel, how relaxed do I feel while smoking it, and how well can I pretend I didn’t hear whatever she asked me to do while I’m smoking it.

As long as it checks those boxes in the positive, it’s a great pipe.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 7

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Mine is a 317 Standard system. I actually wrote it on the little paper in the box bc I’m generally daft when it comes to year, make, and model of various pipes. I realized years ago that I enjoy them just as much even if I don’t have a clue what the heck pipe I have in hand. Turns out the tobacco still lights and tastes great either way.

Suits my criteria, which are basically: how well does it smoke, how does it feel, how relaxed do I feel while smoking it, and how well can I pretend I didn’t hear whatever she asked me to do while I’m smoking it.

As long as it checks those boxes in the positive, it’s a great pipe.
Well it will be stamped with 317, I just couldn't read it.
I have one, for me it is a little on the small side, but that makes it just right for some times / blends, just not most times / blends for me.
I love so many Petes, the 314 is one of the best all-round for me when it needs to hang from the mouth and I'm outdoors and all. Sitting still inside out of the breeze is totally different.

dctune

Well it will be stamped with 317, I just couldn't read it.
I have one, for me it is a little on the small side, but that makes it just right for some times / blends, just not most times / blends for me.
I love so many Petes, the 314 is one of the best all-round for me when it needs to hang from the mouth and I'm outdoors and all. Sitting still inside out of the breeze is totally different.
I also feel like the bowl on this one is a little on the small side from what I usually prefer. But so far, I’m quite impressed.

Reactions: seanv and FLDRD