PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sandblast

Might Stick Around
Dec 10, 2023
Mendota Heights, Dakota Country, MN
Congrats on the beautiful Pete.

Stick to the P-lip. Pretty soon you'll put a Fishtail in your mouth and be wondering why you ever bought a pipe with one!
I fully admit that I am the LAST person to make any type comment on the P-lip, but I've accumulated 10 Peterson System Standards (plus an excellent 999 w/Army bit) and I specifically ordered all of them with Fishtails. I guess the P-lip looked sort of "odd" to me plus every other pipe I have .... Stanwells, Savinellis, various Canadians, etc .... all have Fishtails. Hence, I figured "Why change? Why take a chance on something I might not like?" I know there are many who'd say that without the P-lip, I don't really have a true System, but I've been totally happy with Fishtail Systems.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I fully admit that I am the LAST person to make any type comment on the P-lip, but I've accumulated 10 Peterson System Standards (plus an excellent 999 w/Army bit) and I specifically ordered all of them with Fishtails. I guess the P-lip looked sort of "odd" to me plus every other pipe I have .... Stanwells, Savinellis, various Canadians, etc .... all have Fishtails. Hence, I figured "Why change? Why take a chance on something I might not like?" I know there are many who'd say that without the P-lip, I don't really have a true System, but I've been totally happy with Fishtail System

Brother, you MUST try a P-lip. At the very least, just to say that you have tried. I'll admit, i was scared for years to even consider a pipe with a plip, and when I finally caved, I didn't really know what to think the first time I smoked it. I smoked it once and put the pipe away for months. Finally decided to give it another good go and at least smoke it for a week straight. After that week, i am a 100% believer.

You gotta give it a shot, and give it a good week or two to learn the curve

Reactions: FLDRD and dctune

dctune

Part of the Furniture Now
Brother, you MUST try a P-lip. At the very least, just to say that you have tried. I'll admit, i was scared for years to even consider a pipe with a plip, and when I finally caved, I didn't really know what to think the first time I smoked it. I smoked it once and put the pipe away for months. Finally decided to give it another good go and at least smoke it for a week straight. After that week, i am a 100% believer.

You gotta give it a shot, and give it a good week or two to learn the curve
Let me add to this for you @Sandblast

Granted I’m new to the P-lip. But my 3 smokes so far, I’m impressed. I can honestly say I subtly detect MORE flavor with it than with my fishtails. I’m assuming this is likely a function of the smoke being directed to the hard palate first instead of the tongue. Could be other factors having to do with the Peterson system design.

Admittedly, this could just be me, and as always, there’s no explaining taste.

The only thing I’m not crazy about is the very slight increased depth I feel I have to insert the stem. But this is minor, and not really problematic, just different.

However, no pressure here. If you’re 100% happy with your piping, then you’re right where you should be! To each his own. But if you ever get an adventurous urge, might be worth a shot.

• Love
Reactions: FLDRD and gervais

mateusbrown

Might Stick Around
Apr 24, 2022
Georgia, USA
317 Standard system
I've got the exact same pipe, and it is my favorite, p-lip and all. It's easy to clean and always a pleasure to smoke. If I had not found out about Petersons I would have probably not have stuck with pipe smoking.
Love the style of your initial story's tone and word usage. Very creative language! I feel like I am writing notes on a student's paper. Got to get out of teacher mode for the holidays!

• Love
Reactions: dctune

dctune

Part of the Furniture Now
I've got the exact same pipe, and it is my favorite, p-lip and all. It's easy to clean and always a pleasure to smoke. If I had not found out about Petersons I would have probably not have stuck with pipe smoking.
Love the style of your initial story's tone and word usage. Very creative language! I feel like I am writing notes on a student's paper. Got to get out of teacher mode for the holidays!
That’s twice now my writing in this post has received a pat on the head. Thank you! Not to disappoint, but I assure you it’s accidental eloquence.

As for the new Peterson, I’m a big fan. I’ve already informed my bank account it’ll be responsible for acquiring more pieces for my collection. So it better shape up & stop this undernourished nonsense. It always starts acting like this around Christmas.