My Hobby Of Making And Photographing Micromounts.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Prompted by forum member Mike's thread on unusual hobbies I thought what a great opportunity to show off some of my favourite micromounts.

A micromount is simply a selected piece of rock that contains or is even made up entirely of an interesting mineral. There are around 2000 minerals on this planet and many of them are in crystal form, and often as not these crystals are very tiny and can only be viewed through a microscope.

I use both a Meiji and a Leica Wild for this purpose. For photographing these micromounts I use a standard Canon DSLR fitted with Kenko extension tubes with a Canon macro lens designed for the purpose but sometime Pentacon or Tokina lens mounted in reverse fashion. All this sits upon a tripod for stability as taking pictures at this level means everything has to be rock solid.

Again, due to the magnification required to make an image I have had to use 'image stacking' where many images are taken at minute distances apart then combined into one image to create the correct depth of field. The most I ever did was something like 129 individual shots to make one image!

Most pictures below are roughly 3 - 4 mm wide.

Enjoy.

View attachment 25971

View attachment 25972

View attachment 25973

View attachment 25974

View attachment 25975

View attachment 25976

The above Grossular garnets picture is a mere 2mm from left to right.

View attachment 25977

View attachment 25979

The above Scholzite is made up of 129 separate images.

View attachment 25980

That's enough for now.

Regards,

Jay.
Simply amazing

I collect minerals and crystals, but have never done anything like this!

superb work

Tommy Boy

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
Beautiful stuff for sure. I never knew that was even a thing before today. You must have a steady hand and patience of a saint. Im more of a hammer and welder guy so it's intresting to see the gifts God has given to others that are vastly different from mine.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Just as folks understand, betwixt the camera and the tripod there is a sliding rack device that works by turning a knob that operates a worm drive.

Once all is set up and the lights are on (lots of light needed), the camera is edged forward by turning the knob until the frontmost part of the specimen is in pin sharp focus. This is viewed on the PC screen. At that point the first image is taken by clicking the mouse as to touch the camera would throw everything off kilter.

Then the knob is turned again moving the camera a minute distance closer to the specimen, then another shot taken and so it goes until you reach the end of the specimen.

Using designed for purpose software, these multiple shots are cleverly stitched together keeping only the in focus parts of the image and the end result is as seen above. I use no post camera touching up, tinting or anysuch thing, I only crop the image to size. Each image can take twixt twenty minutes to an hour to produce.

Glad you guys liked them.

Regards,

Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Last tranche.

Cuprite.jpg

Above is Cuprite, a major source of copper.

Iridescent hematite.jpg

Above is iridescent hematite.

Mimetite.jpg

Above is Mimetite.

Native copper.jpg

Above is Native Copper. Some metals, gold mostly appear 'ready made' in nature (no need to smelt ore) here is 'ready made' copper.

Olivenite.jpg

Above is Olivinite. Most blue/green minerals are copper based.

Pyrolusite, Croft Quarry 2.jpg

Above is Pyrolusite.

Siderite on Muscovite.jpg

Above is Siderite sitting atop Muscovite.

Siderite, S Crofty 3 no tag.jpg

Above is Siderite from Cornwall.

Specularite, Beckermet Mine 2.jpg

Above is Specularite.

Tourmaline.jpg

Above is Tourmaline.

Four more in next post.

Regards,

Jay.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Last tranche (2) I didn't know there was a restriction of 10 images.

Variscite, High Down Quarry, Filleigh, Devon 1.jpg

Above, stunning spherules of Variscite.

Variscite, High Down Quarry, Filleigh, Devon 2.jpg

Above Variscite again.

And finally, two images taken with my biological microscope of a single scale from a Bass fish. Magnification is something in the region of 600x.

Bass 1.JPG

Bass 2.jpg

Phew.....done!

Regards,

Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.