My klutziness strikes again! Amber is fragile...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
This pipe, one for which I'd been bhunting for 25+ years, fell out of my pocket today onto a tile floor, and the stem snapped, losing a large chip which I couldn't locate. Of course, this gives me a sudden wave of extreme PAD, which I'm trying to force down because I really can't afford another antique pipe right now (this one cost me about $45, and I'll never find another similar at even three times that!)

I've sent photos to Briarville in hopes that he can cut a stem from rod in this shape. Not only a diamond with a fat oval profile and orific button, the shoulders of the saddle are extremely sharp. It was gorgeous. If I could get it banded, I would, but I probably can't afford that. It would need to be curved to match, and be able to also fit the (admittedly not in great condition) case.

5eZbc4x.jpg

0ScDSg3.jpg

V5pwaK7.jpg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Does some amber get orangey-dark on the surface over time but remain yellow inside?

If not (I've never seen that happen before), the stem is Bakelite.

Reactions: frozenchurchwarden
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Does some amber get orangey-dark on the surface over time but remain yellow inside?

If not (I've never seen that happen before), the stem is Bakelite.
Amberol does, it was reconstituted amber with some of the same binding agents as Bakelite. So it can kinda oxidize like Bakelite. The way it broke with the flake coming off like that makes me think Amber/Amberol.

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
What pipe is this? That’s some diligence searching 25 years for it. I’m so sorry for this tragic accident.
Little apple-shape, yes oxblood coloring. I'd walk ten miles for another like it, if anyone has a lead. I've seen ones like this with Bakelite stems, too.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Little apple-shape, yes oxblood coloring. I'd walk ten miles for another like it, if anyone has a lead. I've seen ones like this with Bakelite stems, too.
No markings though? I guess I assumed that you were looking for that specific pipe for 25 years but maybe you just meant a pipe to fit the bill of this pipe.

And did it come with a case?

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
No markings though? I guess I assumed that you were looking for that specific pipe for 25 years but maybe you just meant a pipe to fit the bill of this pipe.

And did it come with a case?
I mean this exact type. Small, squat apple, meerschaum, deeply bent, diamond shank with metal band, amber saddle stem. Yes, it came with a case in somewhat rough shape. For some stupid reason, I didn't have it in its case. Here's another with a plain band, uncolored, marked "Cecil"

uGkRzh8.jpg

Another, with square instead of diamond, which would be perfectly acceptable to me.

P5523bc.jpg

• Love
Reactions: AroEnglish

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
I mean this exact type. Small, squat apple, meerschaum, deeply bent, diamond shank with metal band, amber saddle stem. Yes, it came with a case in somewhat rough shape. For some stupid reason, I didn't have it in its case. Here's another with a plain band, uncolored, marked "Cecil"

uGkRzh8.jpg

Another, with square instead of diamond, which would be perfectly acceptable to me.

P5523bc.jpg
Oh man that first one is just stunning! I would love to own one with a tapered stem. Still hoping to land a BBB dreadnought one day.

Reactions: didimauw

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
What about the fellow who does @ashdigger pipes as he seems to be nothing short of a miracle worker. One thing that you might consider is to have the repair man drill a slightly wider hole in each side of the broken stem and then insert a a very narrow stainless steel tube in and cement it in place whilst simultaneously cementing the broken surface of the stem. I have had this done on a dropped meerschaum were the shank and bowl snapped off by the foot of the 'cutty' so that after the stainless steel pipe repair the entire base of the 'cutty' was silver banded in the form of a dish for added strength. You could also have the stem just banded in silver and it would look very nice.

Reactions: AroEnglish

jonasclark

Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
What about the fellow who does @ashdigger pipes as he seems to be nothing short of a miracle worker. One thing that you might consider is to have the repair man drill a slightly wider hole in each side of the broken stem and then insert a a very narrow stainless steel tube in and cement it in place whilst simultaneously cementing the broken surface of the stem. I have had this done on a dropped meerschaum were the shank and bowl snapped off by the foot of the 'cutty' so that after the stainless steel pipe repair the entire base of the 'cutty' was silver banded in the form of a dish for added strength. You could also have the stem just banded in silver and it would look very nice.
I'd love to have it banded to cover the chip, but it'd have to fit both the oval profile and the bend very closely. I have no idea who could make that.

By Ashdigger, do you mean Rusie here who made this p-lip for one of his pipes?