PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I still haven’t read my copy but I did glance through it and while this normally wouldn’t be a book that I would purchase for myself, I have found that the opening chapter has got me really looking forward to reading it! I’ve got 3 more books to go before I read it (yeah, I have a book queue). I really think everyone on this forum would enjoy it. Let’s put our good friend, Nathaniel on the best sellers list!!!

Carol

Lifer
Dec 15, 2021
NW NM, USA
Pipe-smoking friends,
Please forgive the crass self-promotion. I wrote a novel, The Memoirs of Stockholm Sven, which is being published in the U.S. by Little, Brown & Co. on October 26, 2021. It concerns a miner-turned-trapper in the high Arctic Svalbard/Spitsbergen archipelago during the 1920s-40s. It's based on a real guy about whom we know almost nothing, so 99% fiction.

As someone who has always been obsessed with the vital importance of tobacco to the (often gravely ill-fortuned) participants in 19th and early 20th C. polar exploration, I knew my book had to gave a great deal of pipe-smoking in it. It does. Spoiler alert: I even name-drop Reuben Charatan!

Anyway, I know you care deeply about the hobby. If, on top of that, you enjoy books that include scurvy, polar bears, idiosyncratic dogs, mining camps, isolated fjords, a bit of romance and a bit of killing, or plots that don't so much do this ⌒ as this ~, then it very well may be your sort of thing!

Should your interest be piqued, details and relevant links can be found at my website here, and if it's still piqued after that, pre-ordering the book is a truly wonderful thing to do.

I hope you'll let me know what you think, or simply muse in this thread about whether you could survive in the frigid wastes, through the long polar night, after the tobacco ran out.

Note: Release date is also this October for English-language edition (John Murray Press) in Europe and UK Commonwealth. If you're in GB herself, official release date is Jan. 20, 2022. French edition in Fall, 2022; Russian edition around the same time.

Many thanks for reading this or reading more!
I remain, etc.
View attachment 83165
Just joined, and found this. Looks like a good read. Going to order it.

• Love
Reactions: odobenus and scloyd

odobenus

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
Can't believe this thread has been dormant.

Do yourself or someone else a favor this Christmas and pick up a copy of this book - excellent read, perfect by the fireside with the snow and wind howling (or by the beach for those lucky b________ds that don't do winter, lol)!
You are a true gent, Hawkeye. Thanks again, my friend.

Reactions: hawky454

odobenus

Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
Just finished my copy on the kindle! Excellent book and got me interested in Svalbard! What a fascinating and unique place and history! Keep up the good work!
Many thanks! If your new interest in Svalbard stays lit, I highly recommend these two works of non-fiction, in which the archipelago plays a major role: "Nansen" by Roland Huntford and "The Ice Balloon" by Alec Wilkinson.

odobenus

Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
Look what I got for Christmas from my wife...
View attachment 117091
And she found it on a shelf in a small book shop here in little old New Zealand.
I started and finished it on Christmas day, and thoroughly enjoyed the story, the characters, the setting and your writing. Thank you!
Isaac.
Thank you, Isaac! It pleases me no end to hear that you enjoyed it, and that the export paperback has found its way to NZ, so folks in one excellent archipelago can read about folks in another.

Reactions: mortonbriar

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Pipe-smoking friends,
Please forgive the crass self-promotion. I wrote a novel, The Memoirs of Stockholm Sven, which is being published in the U.S. by Little, Brown & Co. on October 26, 2021. It concerns a miner-turned-trapper in the high Arctic Svalbard/Spitsbergen archipelago during the 1920s-40s. It's based on a real guy about whom we know almost nothing, so 99% fiction.
Just started a day or so ago and am about a third of the way through. Very good read so far!