Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
On its way to me from Italy; a wonderful 2003/2004 ( last year of the coöperation ) higher graded B&M lovat (?)
I'm so very chuffed. This is my first B&M, showing excellent grain, grade C . ( Ascending f,q and c )
This pipe was designed and finished by Giorgio Musico . The Roma stamp indicates it was a pipe meant for the Italian market only.
B&M smooth pipes are not often seen. Tightly packed birdseyes on the flanks and wonderful cross grain front and back of the bowl. I always considered this a typical "English graining " but Mr. Musico knew how to handle himself. becker&musico lovat pipe C graded 01.jpgbecker&musico lovat pipe C graded 02.jpgbecker&musico lovat pipe C graded 03.jpgbecker&musico lovat pipe C graded 04.jpgbecker&musico lovat pipe C graded 05.jpgbecker&musico lovat pipe C graded 06.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2013
Well if there's one thing the Musico shop could and still does - bringing that conservative English flair to the heart of Italy.
This is my first B&M pipe, I am much fascinated by the nomenclature and the typical Italian style of stamping, with so much flair. Love it.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
As much as I love the classic French/British shape chart, there's only so many expressions there. When it comes to workshops and not individuals, I do find my eye drawn to the ones that add a "twist of lemon" to those chart stalwarts.

In Italy I think of Radice and even Il Ceppo, in addition to Musico (Foundation/ Becker &).

I've never been a big fan of "DANISH" design - I can appreciate the workmanship and eye for detail, but the shapes don't do it for me.
Now those early Suhr/Rasmussen and Pipe Dan designs - yum.

Dec 10, 2013
Thank you all for your kind words .
Initially I felt a little ambivalent about it.
The pipe looks much loved and I worry a little abbout the condition of the chamber.
Well, I like to drive a hard bargain and I succeeded.

Dec 10, 2013
The pipe arrived today and it is incredibly sweet.
The chamber looks to be in fair condition, but will probably need a very, very deep cleaning.
Someone most likely smoked tons of Gold Block in it, this is the dirtiest pipe I've worked on in years.
The stem and shank not yet entirely clogged. The stummel is now filled with alcohol and corked
to slow the evaporation. Wonder what will come out in a few days.
The stem ( almost impossible to get through ) I cleaned with bristle cleaners and alcohol , also one, or two cleaners loaded with soft scrub.

Very effective and no harm done whatsoever.