PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
It is a rough day in our household because my pipe smoking buddy has passed away. He was my four footed, hairy Lab mix who always laid at my feet while I smoked my pipe. He was with me constantly, but he lost his battle with Cushings disease. He enjoyed life up until the last week when things got really bad for him. The house doesn't seem the same without him and the cat dearly misses "her dog". She would groom him and rub up against him. I had my pipe with Iwan Ries Old Colonial and my coffee and just remembered all the good times I had with my "good boy."View attachment 301526View attachment 301528
the lil guys are just the best. I honestly feel like that they get more living done in their time then a lot of people do. I feel your pain.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
It is a rough day in our household because my pipe smoking buddy has passed away. He was my four footed, hairy Lab mix who always laid at my feet while I smoked my pipe. He was with me constantly, but he lost his battle with Cushings disease. He enjoyed life up until the last week when things got really bad for him. The house doesn't seem the same without him and the cat dearly misses "her dog". She would groom him and rub up against him. I had my pipe with Iwan Ries Old Colonial and my coffee and just remembered all the good times I had with my "good boy."View attachment 301526View attachment 301528
I am so sad to read this - all the best thoughts and prayers.

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Ohh. I'm sorry Man. Rest in peace.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Sorry for your loss. May he rest easy now, and your sadness and pain ease over time.

I know the feeling of losing a smoking buddy. My 4-legged little girl died a couple years ago. She used to lay next to me in my shop every time I came out for a smoke and did for many years. I miss having her by my side, and miss having a smoking buddy. Now I just enjoy the memories of our 15 years together.

Elric

Lifer
Sep 19, 2019
Liplapper Lane (Michigan)
tobaccocellar.com
So very sorry to hear of the loss of your pipe companion. May the memory of his company sustain you as you smoke onward. 😢

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
What a handsome fellow he was!

My late friend Gene Hill once wrote, in part, the following about one of his dogs:

"His head on my knee can heal my human hurts. His presence by my side is protection against my fears of dark and unknown things.
"He has promised to wait for me…whenever…wherever—in case I need him. And I expect I will—as I always have.
"He is just my dog."

May God grant you happy memories of him, together with the peace that they bring.

Last edited:

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Whenever a canine friend passes, I am reminded of the poem "The Power of the Dog" by Joseph Rudyard Kipling:

There is sorrow enough in the natural way
From men and women to fill our day;
And when we are certain of sorrow in store,
Why do we always arrange for more?
Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.

Buy a pup and your money will buy
Love unflinching that cannot lie
Perfect passion and worship fed
By a kick in the ribs or a pat on the head.
Nevertheless it is hardly fair
To risk your heart for a dog to tear.

When the fourteen years which Nature permits
Are closing in asthma, or tumour, or fits,
And the vet's unspoken prescription runs
To lethal chambers or loaded guns,
Then you will find - it's your own affair, -
But ... you've given your heart to a dog to tear.

When the body that lived at your single will,
With its whimper of welcome, is stilled (how still!),
When the spirit that answered your every mood
Is gone - wherever it goes - for good,
You will discover how much you care,
And will give your heart to a dog to tear!

We've sorrow enough in the natural way,
When it comes to burying Christian clay.
Our loves are not given, but only lent,
At compound interest of cent per cent,
Though it is not always the case, I believe,
That the longer we've kept 'em, the more do we grieve;
For, when debts are payable, right or wrong,
A short-time loan is as bad as a long -
So why in - Heaven (before we are there)
Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?

Last edited: