PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

That Guy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida

I accidentally opened an Amazon box that contains my birthday present I'm not supposed to know about. Bless my wife's heart she always get so frustrated trying to buy anything for me cuz all my hobbies are so foreign to her. Can these be anything besides a display piece? If I had to guess these will smoke hot and be harsh?

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
The gesture is really sweet...I always mess the moment up by being too anxious about offending, but also anxious about the same thing happening for the next 50 years if I don't say anything. In our early years of marriage, me opening gifts would sometimes end in my wife crying.....sigh....she married this arsehole though right? must be her fault.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
if I don't know what the package is I leave it for her to open. I don't know you wife very well. In fact I don't even know who she is or even that you're not making here up (I trust you're not though). If I did know her I'd say just tell her how wonderful it is that she thought of you and you'll cherish the token but you're not smoking them. And then I'd buy her some shitty shoes or whatever she's into.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Let's be honest.
I looked at the photos and those are from Ashinco Trading in China. They have metal bowl inserts. I have seen a lot of those pipes in Flea Markets selling for around $20 each. That is the only place I've ever seen them.

I wouldn't smoke them.

You have a couple of choices.
1. Admit to her you accidentally opened the box and ask forgiveness.
2. If she hasn't seen the box yet, throw it in the trash and pretend it never arrived.

If, number one, then I'm sorry but you are going to have to smoke at least one of those pipes once. Then you can just display them where she can see them.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Let's be honest.
I looked at the photos and those are from Ashinco Trading in China. They have metal bowl inserts. I have seen a lot of those pipes in Flea Markets selling for around $20 each. That is the only place I've ever seen them.

I wouldn't smoke them.

You have a couple of choices.
1. Admit to her you accidentally opened the box and ask forgiveness.
2. If she hasn't seen the box yet, throw it in the trash and pretend it never arrived.

If, number one, then I'm sorry but you are going to have to smoke at least one of those pipes once. Then you can just display them where she can see them.
or he can be honest. And say they're not good pipes but what is better then having a good pipe is having a great wife so they're still freakin awesome.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I think anyone who's married or been married probably went through something similar. I did, about 40 years ago my wife bought me a Tiger Eye ring. I don't wear jewelry, never did, never will. I was young and stupid...I told her it was nice, but I would never wear it. I hurt her feelings. If she bought me a ring today, I would keep it and wear it on rare occasions.

What ever you decide...good luck!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
I think anyone who's married or been married probably went through something similar. I did, about 40 years ago my wife bought me a Tiger Eye ring. I don't wear jewelry, never did, never will. I was young and stupid...I told her it was nice, but I would never wear it. I hurt her feelings. If she bought me a ring today, I would keep it and wear it on rare occasions.

What ever you decide...good luck!
like when my girlfriend bought me that cigar. It wasn't bad but it wasn't something I really thought was all that good either. Heck I have one ex where part of the breaking up declaration was based on the kind of clothes she bought for me. I just couldn't go through life wearing what she thought looked good on me, not possible.

Reactions: scloyd

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
People are so different, so I can't dependably suggest what you should do. I've been married twice, because I lost my first wife to an illness, so I have the experience of two different spouses.

If I'd been on my game, I think I would have been jovial and grateful on the occasion itself, so she doesn't feel she's being rejected. Then give it a day, and on the second day, in a pleasant way, just say these pipes are not good to smoke, and ask if she could return them to Amazon, unsmoked of course. And walk her through the selection of an appropriate pipe of around the same price.

Kaywoodie makes good pipes for about $45 that would fill the bill, so she knows the price isn't the problem. Or Dr. Grabow, or Rossi, etc. Gently point out the preferred features. This is a pipe made out of a special wood, briar. It's designed by a known brand. It's been around for about 80 years. And offer to help with selections of your gifts in the future, explaining that the surprise isn't the main consideration.

Then make sure you take similar care with her presents. When my wife comments on liking something a lot, I jump on that even if the holiday is a long way off, and even if I have to give away the surprise to get the information. Once you both get the hang of this, I think you'll be off to the races.

Gifting is extremely personal and is a chance to let each other know you are really paying attention. It's a good way to get to know each other better, and to identify with your mate.

Donb1972

Can't Leave
Feb 9, 2022
Erie, PA
You can tell her the truth, and maybe be able to return them. Or, keep them, grin and bear it, and smoke one. Or go out and buy a few Dr. Grabows and make a switch. Unless she's super observant, she might not notice ?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

That Guy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
Busted! She saw the package was opened and already knew. She wanted me to go ahead and open it and I did. She asked if they were the right ones and I told her how much I loved her for trying but these are unsmokable. She said they are returnable and I let her know I don't need presents or surprises as long as I have her and she goes to dinner and a movie/bowling with me I'm happy. She understands. I don't even try to surprise her unless I know it's something she really wants. Normally I just take her shopping and give her a spending budget. I'd rather see her get exactly what she wants instead of stuff that won't be used.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
Busted! She saw the package was opened and already knew. She wanted me to go ahead and open it and I did. She asked if they were the right ones and I told her how much I loved her for trying but these are unsmokable. She said they are returnable and I let her know I don't need presents or surprises as long as I have her and she goes to dinner and a movie/bowling with me I'm happy. She understands. I don't even try to surprise her unless I know it's something she really wants. Normally I just take her shopping and give her a spending budget. I'd rather see her get exactly what she wants instead of stuff that won't be used.
Good move!

Reactions: That Guy

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
For those not wishing to hit Amazon links, here are the pipes! Steel and acrylic!

71Kt+1q+72L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Reactions: Zapasta and edger

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I asked her to go to the pipe shop with me to pick one out and she said " I'm not going in that stinky place!" ?
Haha, they never cease to amaze.

We were in Carmel one morning last summer and my sweetie seemed to enjoy the pipe shop we found as much as I did, but it reminded her of her dad and her late grandpa.

Reactions: romaso