Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dr. Van Loafer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2022
Indiana
After reading through forums and researching, I have decided to pick up some mylar bags.

This is what I am presently considering purchasing from PackFresh USA.

This would be for both intermediate and longterm storage of blends that are anywhere between 1-4 oz. Would these bags serve both purposes? With knowing I would have to seal the longterm storage bags.

Thanks!

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
After reading through forums and researching, I have decided to pick up some mylar bags.

This is what I am presently considering purchasing from PackFresh USA.

This would be for both intermediate and longterm storage of blends that are anywhere between 1-4 oz. Would these bags serve both purposes? With knowing I would have to seal the longterm storage bags.

Thanks!
Yes, many here use them for long term storage

Dr. Van Loafer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2022
Indiana
So if I seal would I use a curling iron or buy one of their mini sealers? Or is there another method?

Also, without heat sealing what would the storage time be for the blends in mylar bags? Are we talking months or years?

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
So if I seal would I use a curling iron or buy one of their mini sealers? Or is there another method?

Also, without heat sealing what would the storage time be for the blends in mylar bags? Are we talking months or years?
I also just transfered 99 percent of my blends into mylar. Roughly 30 lbs or so. I just used a straightening iron. Super simple.

sfduke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2012
Here's where I get my bags. 7 mil heavy duty food grade gusseted. No screwing around.

Excellent for long term storage. For the move I transferred all of my tobacco from jars to Mylar. Takes up a lot less space.
Agreed. Top Mylar 7 mil bags here as well. Quality bags with reliable zip seal.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I’ve had tobacco stay humidified for years in mylar. And I’ve had some not last a couple months. The integrity of the zip seal varies greatly with manufacturers. But the biggest problem is if/when small amounts of tobacco detritus get caught in the seal, causing it to leak.

A heat seal is essential for long term storage.

brandaves

Can't Leave
Jan 5, 2020
Kentucky
+3 for www.topmylar.com here. Also, a +2 for using a flat iron to seal the bags. I would definitely not rely on the zippers to seal my tobacco, heat seal those bags! A tip though, leave some space between the seal and the zipper. When you cut off the heat seal you'll want to be able to open and close the zipper which I failed to realize on several of my first attempt bags.

HeavyLeadBelly

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 9, 2023
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Interesting conversation. With a clothes or flat iron what is the technique? I can imagine myself getting a little nuts and winding up with a mess of gooey plastic

Last edited:

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Interesting conversation. With a cloths or flat iron what is the technique? I can imagine myself getting a little nuts and winding up with a mess of gooey plastic
I use a hair straightening iron, set on medium temp. It just takes a few seconds to make the seal, I try to seal above the notch made for the tearaway part of the bag so when I go to open it I tear along the notch and it re-opens easily. Plus the zipper seal is still intact if I want to use it. It sounds harder than it is in practice.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
There are now some inexpensive vacuum sealers available that will do Mylar. Reviews are mixed, with a common complaint being a weak vacuum pump that is prone to failure. It's great if you can suck most of the air out of the bag, but not essential. Just get an impulse sealer without vacuum, and roll up/squeeze the air out as much as you can.

BayouGhost

Lurker
Apr 10, 2024
PA, USA
I have been using the 5 mil Wallaby bags and double seal them using the seal function on a food saver with no vacuum seal. Mylar has relatively the same barrier property no matter what thickness sealant film it is laminated to, but as others have suggested, 7 mil will be more puncture resistant and insulate better during temperature swings. I don’t keep my bags around sharp objects or move them around alot etc. so it is not a big deal to me to use the 5 mil. I keep them in an air tight tupperware container as an added measure.

Reactions: woodsroad