PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Green Hill piper

Can't Leave
Feb 1, 2023
Hack. They aren't telling people on mainstream media but it was quite a few more things that got hit including pharmacies, Hulu, YouTube ,SpaceX, Xbox live, diablo and a list of about fifteen other services.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hack. They aren't telling people on mainstream media but it was quite a few more things that got hit including pharmacies, Hulu, YouTube ,SpaceX, Xbox live, diablo and a list of about fifteen other services.
Only SpaceX surprises me. How did that tie in?

I don't know what "diablo" is, nor or course the other unnamed services.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
I didn’t give up my landline until 2017 (switching to cell service ended up being significantly cheaper); I liked that I still had a working phone line during a blackout in the city with my copper connection. I don’t think phones running via fiberoptic cables worked. Now I’m beholden to satellites and a phone charger.
The last "landline" I had was a cable modem and some device that you plugged into one phone jack to produce a dial tone in the others. I looked into Verizon Fios but it involved running cables up the side of the building, drilling a hole through the window sash and running grey cable along the baseboards to one of the jacks. I was tempted to do it because I missed running to catch the phone before the ringing stopped.

Reactions: TheIronMonkey
The last "landline" I had was a cable modem and some device that you plugged into one phone jack to produce a dial tone in the others. I looked into Verizon Fios but it involved running cables up the side of the building, drilling a hole through the window sash and running grey cable along the baseboards to one of the jacks. I was tempted to do it because I missed running to catch the phone before the ringing stopped.
Running to catch the phone? You’re doing it wrong. I wait till the answering machine has at least 20 calls on it before checking the messages. Ain’t no one worthy of me running to talk to.

• Haha
Reactions: Merton and dunnyboy
You guys all realize that they still sell landline phones, answering machines, and fax machines at all of the electronic stores like Best Buy, Office Depot, etc…

Just because you don’t use them, doesn’t mean everyone doesn’t.

I had a kid laugh at me for putting my email on my business card at an art show. He was all snooty, “might as well put your MySpace on it too. No one uses email any more”
Kids don’t talk on the phone part of their smartphones anymore either.

Just because the majority wants to pay for smartphones and cell services, doesn’t mean everyone does. The wealthiest people I know don’t carry any devices. And, some folks just don’t want them. I’m not crazy about them either.

But anyways… the kiddos can have their fun. I want a gasoline powered truck with no computer, a landline, and one day… I can just go about my day without worrying about all of that. Seems like a much richer life to me.

Reactions: seanv

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I wait till the answering machine has at least 20 calls on it before checking the messages.
The new landline phone sets can announce the caller from each handset and play their message so you can just sit and smoke your pipe and ignore the call in real time without having to run for the phone or check 20 messages ... about $139 for 5 phones ... just sayin' .... ;):ROFLMAO:

1708725368960.png

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
You guys all realize that they still sell landline phones, answering machines, and fax machines at all of the electronic stores like Best Buy, Office Depot, etc…

Just because you don’t use them, doesn’t mean everyone doesn’t.

I had a kid laugh at me for putting my email on my business card at an art show. He was all snooty, “might as well put your MySpace on it too. No one uses email any more”
Kids don’t talk on the phone part of their smartphones anymore either.

Just because the majority wants to pay for smartphones and cell services, doesn’t mean everyone does. The wealthiest people I know don’t carry any devices. And, some folks just don’t want them. I’m not crazy about them either.

But anyways… the kiddos can have their fun. I want a gasoline powered truck with no computer, a landline, and one day… I can just go about my day without worrying about all of that. Seems like a much richer life to me.
It depends on what you consider a landline. I consider a landline the traditional copper POTS line. I do not consider a wired line that requires cable or DSL or similar networking a landline in the traditional sense. I can go out to the telephone box on the side of my house with a non-powered telephone, plug it into the access port inside the box and makes calls even if my power and cable is down. Those types of lines are being sunset over time. The FCC doesn’t want them existing anymore.