PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Qwerty53

Lurker
Jul 17, 2021
Have you tried it? The bowl is briar
Bone is probably not very sustainable to heat. How do we know that particles do not go off it with the smoke right into you?
How about a smell?

Last edited:

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
That’s a bone from the wing of an albatross.
Should not present any problem as you are not burning tobacco in it

If you’re that worried, there are more issues smoking tobacco per se

Reactions: anotherbob

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I have a bone stemmed 1900 Salmon and Gluckstein bulldog. Smokes like all my other briars. No particular smell or taste imparted by the stem.
I'd like to see a photo of your Salmon & Gluckstein bulldog.
This is my S&G that I found sitting on a desk at a "real" antique shop in Beaumont, TX. (I say real because it wasn't one of those shops filled with different vendors selling junk.)

The store manager said it was found inside an antique writing desk from the 1920s. I paid $30 for it. The hallmarks are barely visible.

SG_polished_.jpg

Sorry but am too tech impaired to post pics.
Ummm, I was just helping @jpmcwjr summons you. I don't care for a picture.
However, I am thinking about offering my forum 101 class on how to use these functions. For a mere $86, I'll show folks how to use @'s, replies, PM's and how to post pictures. The more advance class involves, how not to tell a joke in text format, imbedded videos, and discussion on using the ignore feature. puffy

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Albatross wing bone extensions were quite common during the latter 19th and early 20th centuries, pretty much essential for "library" pipes. I doubt that the Butz Choquin in the video is sporting an actual albatross bone extension but more likely acrylic colored to mimic an albatross bone extension.

10 years ago, when I made an inquiry with the idea of replacing the albatross bone extension on one of my pipes because it had splits in it, I found the cost pretty damned expensive. The quote was $500 an inch for the real deal.