PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Sidehatch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2022
Colorado
So I goofed and made a post in a wrong thread about a current eBay auction. Im reposting as a new thread to get some input from those in the know. Long story short I check eBay when I’m bored at work and found a birth year dunhill. It blew my mind to see its priced over 500 bucks already. I’m very new to pipes and have no idea what a pipe like this should cost. Ultimately the value lies in whatever someone is willing to spend on something. But what are some thoughts on a fair price for this pipe?1644103972779.jpeg

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Laurent

Sidehatch

Jan 30, 2022
Colorado
I agree my friend but I’ve never bought a pipe at this price point either. I reckon what’s the point. It’s like buying a sports car and looking at it in garage.

Reactions: Laurent
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I may be the last person to listen to; as a book collector and toy collector, I'm something of a preservationist. If something survives in unused, pristine condition for forty, or fifty years, or more, I'm more likely to keep it that way. My thinking is once you smoke something that old that's unused, all you've done is turn it into another used pipe. It was more special and unique unused.

It depends on if you want a smoking pipe or a sculpture. I have some unsmoked pipes in original packaging that I'll leave unsmoked. There are probably better things to invest in if you're just going to put it on a shelf.

That pipe is in nice shape, but I saw nothing to suggest it was unsmoked. I have no qualms about smoking a used pipe. I'd light that puppy up and enjoy it.

Sidehatch

Jan 30, 2022
Colorado
I may be the last person to listen to; as a book collector and toy collector, I'm something of a preservationist. If something survives in unused, pristine condition for forty, or fifty years, or more, I'm more likely to keep it that way. My thinking is once you smoke something that old that's unused, all you've done is turn it into another used pipe. It was more special and unique unused.

It depends on if you want a smoking pipe or a sculpture. I have some unsmoked pipes in original packaging that I'll leave unsmoked. There are probably better things to invest in if you're just going to put it on a shelf.

That pipe is in nice shape, but I saw nothing to suggest it was unsmoked. I have no qualms about smoking a used pipe. I'd light that puppy up and enjoy it.
Well said. I’m in that boat. If it’s seen fire, spark it up

Reactions: jpmcwjr and Laurent

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
My feelings exactly.

This unsmoked 1907 Barling companion set will remain unsmoked by me:
hzZwztQ.jpg

This drives some people absolutely bug nuts, which is their problem to work through with their therapists. Generally I don't buy a pipe I'm not going to smoke, but for me this is a special situation. I enjoy that they're exactly as the Barling company made them. I feel zero need or desire to fire them up. I know how they' could smoke because I have a LOT of vintage pipes by Barling that I do smoke.

Once smoked, they're just another set of old pipes, assuming that they don't crack on the first smoke.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
My feelings exactly.

This unsmoked 1907 Barling companion set will remain unsmoked by me:
hzZwztQ.jpg

This drives some people absolutely bug nuts, which is their problem to work through with their therapists. Generally I don't buy a pipe I'm not going to smoke, but for me this is a special situation. I enjoy that they're exactly as the Barling company made them. I feel zero need or desire to fire them up. I know how they' could smoke because I have a LOT of vintage pipes by Barling that I do smoke.

Once smoked, they're just another set of old pipes, assuming that they don't crack on the first smoke.

Some people just don't understand the appeal of having something that has survived so many years "as issued" and wanting to preserve it. I've run into this in the book collecting world and with record collectors. Some people just want to be the person to "pop a cherry." More often than not, there are enough open/used examples out there to enjoy that there's no need to destroy a virginal example. I have a dust jacket for the first book of a series detective by a mystery writer that I collect in-depth, that came from a lending library in Oklahoma—the jacket was never wrapped around the book and survived since 1949 flat, unused, and essentially pristine. A number of dealers suggested putting it on a book. This is probably the only example of this dust jacket extant in this condition; I already have nice copies of the first edition in jacket—why would I want to ruin this amazing thing that has survived in such unmolested shape against all odds for 70+ years? I totally understand your stance on the Barling set more than most people. It's amazing to see, and I'm happy to know it's with the right person.

Reactions: sablebrush52

Sidehatch

Jan 30, 2022
Colorado
Chasing embers saw into the future. Update on this auction has the price on this pipe over 2300 with over 3 plus days of bidding. Wow. . . .just wow.