PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
It's rather nice. How long is it? How is the bone screw in the shank? Please don't try and take it apart. Does it have a 'restrictor' in the bottom of the bowl? If it doesn't then it did at one time due to the bowl color and 'two tone' effect. It goes without saying, please use soft, long modeling pipe cleaners when cleaning the pipe. When you have answered that lot I'll let you know how old I think the pipe is! rotf

Winterreise

Lifer
Oct 21, 2020
Montréal , Québec
It's rather nice. How long is it? How is the bone screw in the shank? Please don't try and take it apart. Does it have a 'restrictor' in the bottom of the bowl? If it doesn't then it did at one time due to the bowl color and 'two tone' effect. It goes without saying, please use soft, long modeling pipe cleaners when cleaning the pipe. When you have answered that lot I'll let you know how old I think the pipe is! rotf
To be fair i read all your entries from all thing cutty last night! ?did my homework . Its 7 inch long and the bones tenon in top shape . The restrictor have been removed . (Might put one back) and now did i earn the right to know the ages of this cutty ? ?

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
My initial thought was Forestier-Bourgeois et Cie but they have only been around since 1945 and were known for their briar pipes. I don't think its a product of the Austrian carvers so I would definitely say French. I have many meerschaum pipes of this length which I don't often smoke as they are just not portable. As to age, without seeing the stem to see what it was made from, I would say 1870-80. The shank enjoining the stem are beautifully colored, as is the foot, the discoloration behind the bowl and above the foot should start to fade if you smoke the pipe often. As an after thought it looks as if the case is in very good condition and from experience having a well preserved and functional case is half the battle to enjoying the pipes. Enjoy your new best friend and I hope that is of some help. Any other thoughts I would love to hear.

Winterreise

Lifer
Oct 21, 2020
Montréal , Québec
My initial thought was Forestier-Bourgeois et Cie but they have only been around since 1945 and were known for their briar pipes. I don't think its a product of the Austrian carvers so I would definitely say French. I have many meerschaum pipes of this length which I don't often smoke as they are just not portable. As to age, without seeing the stem to see what it was made from, I would say 1870-80. The shank enjoining the stem are beautifully colored, as is the foot, the discoloration behind the bowl and above the foot should start to fade if you smoke the pipe often. As an after thought it looks as if the case is in very good condition and from experience having a well preserved and functional case is half the battle to enjoying the pipes. Enjoy your new best friend and I hope that is of some help. Any other thoughts I would love to hear.
Thank a lot for the information , definitely my longest pipe . Its going to be smoked while reading and god know how much i love to read ! Apparently the stem is pure amber. gonna take extra care , feel like a got a newborn baby ?

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Thank a lot for the information , definitely my longest pipe . Its going to be smoked while reading and god know how much i love to read ! Apparently the stem is pure amber. gonna take extra care , feel like a got a newborn baby ?
Yeah, that amber is going to be fragile as hell man. I would treat it like glass, and don't even THINK about trying to remove that stem.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I gladly accept if you don’t mind sending it to canada of course ! You think Philt pads work even better ?

I can't say yet if the Philt pads affect the coloring with first hand experience. Simon gifted me a 2 of them a couple of weeks ago when we met. I really like them as they virtually eliminate that stray piece of tobacco clogging the air hole. I subsequently ordered 2 packs of 25, received them today. I may even try them in my briar pipes. And in case you ask, I found them on eBay.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece