PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattmars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
Stopped into an antique store the other day and picked up a couple things. One is a Barling Londoner 411T. I know it's post-transition, but don't know the date. The other 2 are a little mystery. I think one is a Kaywoodie, but the other will never be know since it looks unfinished. All I need to do is figure out how to restore the Barling. Plus I picked up a sweet Fairfax Days of the Week pipe rack.
P1000245.jpg

P1000241.jpg

P1000243.jpg

P1000240.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That Barling looks interesting and not too difficult to restore You'd be surprised what a buffing wheel and some white rouge will do. Same for the stem, that is probably the easiest to bring back.
Love that 7-day rack as well, that is a handy shape. I usually cut the holes into u-shaped slots to accomdate larger, more modern pipes. That is easy to do if necessary.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Nice acquisitions. I found a nice Barling Guinea Grain at an antique shop, and several Custonbilts, Grabos, etc. Hard to pass up an antigue store. Is that rack a lazy Susan too?

mattmars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
The 2 incomplete pipes came with the rack. I love the rack even though I don't have enough to fill it....yet. It reminds me of some straight razor 7 day sets that have the days of the week on them too. It's not a lazy susan, but it would be easy to make it into one. I really want to restore the Barling, but don't have the tools to do it yet. But I had to buy it since I was able to snag everything for..........$15.00!

I may try to install a rheostat to my bench grinder to get the RPMs down and I have other tools that may work on the cake.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
The 2 incomplete pipes came with the rack. I love the rack even though I don't have enough to fill it....yet. It reminds me of some straight razor 7 day sets that have the days of the week on them too. It's not a lazy susan, but it would be easy to make it into one. I really want to restore the Barling, but don't have the tools to do it yet. But I had to buy it since I was able to snag everything for..........$15.00!

I may try to install a rheostat to my bench grinder to get the RPMs down and I have other tools that may work on the cake.
You might want to practice on some other pipes before you tackle that Barling. I don't know what is is worth but I'd say it is worth more than the usual "drug store" pipe.Cleaning it up to smoke is one thing,doing a restoration or re-finishing is another.

mattmars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
@ejames. I was really only planning on getting it smokeable. I like beat up old things that look like they have been enjoyed. I may look into making a retort to do a thorough cleaning and the stem I will take care of with some Oxy clean powder. I can hand buff the stem afterwards (lots of boot shining in my past).
It also looks like the concensus is.....the rack is nice :clap: I'll clean it up a bit and maybe throw some Murphy's on it.

deleon

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 7, 2011
Texas
mattmars, I'm new here and was reading about your great find at the antique store. You can use your bench grinder as a buffer. Depending on the rpms of your grinder you can use a different size of buffing wheels.I have a Skil bench grinder and use 4'' buffing wheels and it works great. I got the info from this video:

http://www.youtube.com/user/PipedudeBob#p/u/19/QUWb2K8aU7k

Hope it helps. I know hand buffing can be a pain. Good with restoring your pipes!

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
I swear by Howard's Feed n' Wax for making wood products come alive (except pipes). It will make that rack look like new and is basically orange and beeswax.

mattmars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
deleon...Thanks for the youtube link! I was worried about re-wiring my grinder to do some work.
And as ssjones said about cutting the holes in the rack, well it looks like I'm going to have to hit mine up with the router to accomodate my pipe.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This one had holes originally. I just marked off the lines and cut them with a fine blade on a jig saw. A router bit would probably do a nice job. I than wiped some stain on the raw wood. I did a 12 pipe rack the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.